Fish Oil Fertilizer?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
They say it will not burn your plants but is it a good choice for plants in my garden?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
I wouldn't use it on fruit and veggies. They might take on the flavour of the oil. I use old fish tank water on every thing but what I will eat.
Do you have the name of the product? You can check for reviews on it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Veggies will not take up the flavor of the fertilizer. Otherwise chicken manure fertilizer would make my tomatoes taste like chicken sh!t. Fish emulsion or fertilizer is wonderful for your plants if used at the correct ratio. The stuff I use is 2oz per gallon of water. I also use it in my compost tea. It would really have to be a super strong concentrate to burn your roots.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
Interesting, I was warned that any fertilizer like chicken crap had to be well broken down or your Toms and veggies will take on the flavour. At any rate I won't chance it with trying fresh fish crap on my Tomatoes.

This reminds me of a fella across the alleyway that was an Canadian officer over in Korea. He once told me that the locals would come and collect his units waste every morning and put out on their rice paddies. To his dying day he would not eat rice. lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Interesting, I was warned that any fertilizer like chicken crap had to be well broken down or your Toms and veggies will take on the flavour. At any rate I won't chance it with trying fresh fish crap on my Tomatoes.

This reminds me of a fella across the alleyway that was an Canadian officer over in Korea. He once told me that the locals would come and collect his units waste every morning and put out on their rice paddies. To his dying day he would not eat rice. lol
Green chicken manure will not flavor your veggies but it will burn up the roots and even leaves if splashed upon them in some way.

When I was in Turkey way back when, nightsoil trucks would drive in the alleyways and folks would pour their stuff into the back of it. When full it was taken to orchards and dumped around fruit trees and farms. One day I was standing on the street corner and a nightsoil truck made a turn across the street from me. There just happened to be an Air Force major standing there waiting to cross the street. The driver went way to fast and the goop splashed out of the truck and all over him. Me being a lowly enlisted guy thought it was hilarious. Needless to say he didn't see the humor.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
Now my dad was a Baptist preacher before I was adopted and in all my life I heard him cuss only once.
It was calving season and so at about 2am he woke me up to go with him to check the herd. We're walking around the cows with a couple flash lights and one old cow stood up and stretched lifting her tail and letting loose. Out shot the crap hitting my dad right in the face. Oh, he was mad! Whacked the cow with a stick and called her a dirty b.tch. I quickly turned and walked through the cows so dad wouldn't see the expression on my face.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I only use this for my perennials. Flowers and shrubs. I use 3 TBS/Gal of water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
Hello 420benz,
I can't see that burning your perennials. I don't know when it is for Georgia but up here I stop the fertilizing of perennials (even the fish tank water) at the end of July. They need their down time.

Ask a Question