Fish Emulsion

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello everyone,

So I am fairly new to gardening but not clueless... so this is pretty exciting. I'm growing a small variety of things this like that I have before like tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots, but this year I would say half my stuff are peppers and mostly Scotch Bonnets. I am reading that Fish Emulsion is a good fertilizer and Epsom salts. Would anyone have any recommendations on fish fertilizers and maybe a good fertilizing routine to have? I also thinking on growing the SB's in separate pots!

Thanks
Jay

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello everyone,

So I am fairly new to gardening but not clueless... so this is pretty exciting. I'm growing a small variety of things this like that I have before like tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots, but this year I would say half my stuff are peppers and mostly Scotch Bonnets. I am reading that Fish Emulsion is a good fertilizer and Epsom salts. Would anyone have any recommendations on fish fertilizers and maybe a good fertilizing routine to have? I also thinking on growing the SB's in separate pots!

Thanks
Jay
This year I am growing Scotch Bonnets, Trinidad Scorpions, Habeneros, Ghost Peppers, two mild varieties and 9 sweet varieties, some in containers and others in the ground. The only time I use Epsom Salts on peppers is at planting. It has no nutritional value (NPK) but it does things to soil that enables a plant to uptake nutrients not normally available. I use a combination of fertilizers, all organic. I start out with a granular at planting, some in the soil and some sprinkled around the base. Then when the plant needs watering, usually about every 10 days, I water with a fish emulsion which has a NPK value of 6-2-2 alternating with another liquid fertilizer with a NPK of 6-12-6. At the end of this period I put a couple of handfuls of the granular around the base again. My Scotch Bonnets are in a 5 gallon bucket and are now 2 feet tall with numerous little peppers and lots of blooms. I put them in the ground in the first part of April. Last year the SB grew to about 3 feet tall and about 3 feet wide and can be rather top heavy and never did get root bound. I am hoping this year to get at least 4+ feet of growth. I suppose one could use Epsom Salts numerous times during the season as it helps plants uptake nutrients but I just never saw the need to.

Ask a Question