First time perennials in Colorado

Reaction score
Country
United States
I planted some perennials in Colorado Springs at my house this weekend. I used the advice of the worker where I purchased my materials and plants. The plants include salvia, asiatic lilies, knockout roses, hydrangeas and a boxwood shrub.
I planted with a topsoil, and a mix of garden soil and compost. I watered to set the soil. The area where I dug and added this mix of soils in the front of the house (where i have the hydrangeas and knockout roses) was a bit sandy with some gravel. I removed this and refilled with the new stuff about 3 times the size of the pot the plants came in.I added mulch over top, according to recommendation on the info marker.

In the back where my lilies and salvia are, I found the soil was already pretty moist and had many earthworms living there. Still I added the new mixture in to make sure it was a healthy environment. I also put 1 inch of mulch on top.

Most of the plants asked for part shade so that's where they are planted with the exception of the knockout roses which needed full sun. Those are at my mailbox where they can receive sunlight all day.

This morning, my plants are looking a bit sad and I want them to take to the soil obviously. If anyone had advice on keeping these perennials going, it's more than welcome as this is my first shot at gardening.
Anyone have any tips or tricks to give them the best opportunity in these conditions? Or maybe know why they are droopy? (With exception of hydrangeas which so far seem to look the same as when I planted them)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Welcome! You said you watered the soil before transplanting. Did you also give them a good soak afterwards? That helps "settle" the roots into their new home and eliminates air pockets and such. If not, I'd do that now.

I know the Springs can be hot, dry and windy. If you planted them early in the day (even if you watered them in) it could just be transplant shock and they'll bounce back. General rule of thumb, it's best to wait until late afternoon or evening to transplant.

Hope they'll be ok!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/b
Country
United States
Yes, make sure you give them a good soak after to eliminate air pockets and pat the soils down a bit to make sure. Perennials are pretty tough. And they can look a bit peaked after planting, but keep and eye and keep them watered. They will brighten up. Ive had some die totally back, only to pop back up a month or two later. They require patience, unlike annuals which are expected to give immediate gratification.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you! I planted them around 1pm. I did water the soil and paid attention to not wet the leaves down on the plants it said to only water at the base.
Hopefully they perk up a bit with some time. I will be sure to pat down firmly.to make sure no air pockets remain. That is something i think i could have missed :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/b
Country
United States
Thank you! I planted them around 1pm. I did water the soil and paid attention to not wet the leaves down on the plants it said to only water at the base.
Hopefully they perk up a bit with some time. I will be sure to pat down firmly.to make sure no air pockets remain. That is something i think i could have missed :)
Its likely not absolutley necessary unless you were careless in filling the hole back up but dont worry, its pretty natural for some to be unhappy they have been disturbed, and adjustment to a new soil.

Ask a Question