Are perennials worth it?

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
I have observed that perennials take quite a bit of time to mature. A gardener can plant perennials and wait for a year before harvesting. This time can better be used to plant several cycles of short season crops which take a shorter time to mature and bring returns sooner. What is your informed opinion on this issue?

InvasiveCreeper

Wild Garden and Native Plant Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Depends on the perennial. I sow dandelion seeds and can harvest the leaves the same season, and being a perennial they are always there, for next season. Flowers make a good jam too :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
United States
I have a bunch of perennials. Yes they can take time to mature, but its worth the wait and less work than with the annuals. Right now I am actually so excited to see many are coming out of the ground or leaves growing back. Annuals are nice as they bloom all season, but there are perennials that will bloom longer than 2 weeks. I made a 3 season out in front. Spring flowers of tulips/crocus/scilla/hyancith. Summer hydrangeas. Fall mums. Very beautiful as it has constant blooms.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Absolutely! My favorite type of edible is one I plant once and don't have to again! Saves time, and saves money. Though it can be tough waiting a year or more for a harvest, I think they're worth it once they're established.

The entirety of my in-ground flower garden is perennial flowers (and some edible flowering plants). I buy it once, and done. Yeah, it certainly looks sparse for a few years, but in 2-3 years it really starts to fill out

Ask a Question