Fig Tree Black Growth

Reaction score
Country
United States
Has anyone ever seen this sort of growth on a fig tree? Any ideas for treatment?
  • The tree is 3-4 years old.
  • I pruned it a month ago and this black did not exist.
  • I am in Louisiana. We had relatively high temperatures this past winter.
Thanks.
IMG_0194.jpeg

IMG_0193.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Does the black rub off or smear? Scratch the bark and see if there is anything of a greenish color. Do you see any buds forming? Have you had an excessive amount of rain? I hope I am wrong but it looks like canker from the pictures and that is the reason for the questions.

Reaction score
Country
United States
No, the black neither rubs off or smears. In fact, the bark comes off with the black formation when scratched. No buds. No excessive rain (dry for this time of year actually).

Also, I just noticed this at the base as well. It seems to be some sort of black mold and it does rub off when scratched.
IMG_0197.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
No, the black neither rubs off or smears. In fact, the bark comes off with the black formation when scratched. No buds. No excessive rain (dry for this time of year actually).

Also, I just noticed this at the base as well. It seems to be some sort of black mold and it does rub off when scratched.
View attachment 61950
When you rub the black and the bark comes away scratch the wood with a sharp knife. If the scratched part does not show a pale greenish color that part of the tree is dead. Black stuff that rubs away or smears is mold. There are many types of mold and some types only grow on dead wood. Also at this time of year buds should be forming and the smallest twigs should be pliable. If they easily snap or are brittle that part of the tree is dead.

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is a common fig fungal disease called fig rust. Rainy weather in late summer and fall will encourage the disease, while drier weather will slow it down. The fig is planted where it gets too much shade and the ground stays too wet for too long. The result of fig rust in the long term is death.

Ask a Question