Ficus Ginseng - leaves falling off

Reaction score
Country
Croatia
Hello!
I bought Ficus Ginseng almost two weeks ago. Immediately its leaves began to fall off. I thought it was due to a sudden change in environment and temperature or that it might not fit the position on the window (which is sometimes open) and because there is a radiator nearby. That’s why I moved it to the table next to the window. But the leaves continued to fall off. I watered it when the potting soil was dry.
So I need your help. Do you know what could be the cause of leaves falling and how to save my plant? How should I take care of it? I would really appreciate your help since I'm unexperienced♥

Pictures show the amount of leaves that fell off in a couple of days while I was away.

Attachments

• plants (1).jpg
    plants (1).jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 25
  • plants (2).jpg
    plants (2).jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 29
  • plants (3).jpg
    plants (3).jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 32
  • plants (4).jpg
    plants (4).jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 29
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Ficus can often loose their leaves because of a change in environment. They also can shock when exposed to temperature lower than 45 degrees F. Ficus do not like to go dry. Find a place with good indirect sunlight and leave it there.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

The Ginseng Ficus appears to be a grafted product of two different forms of Ficus microcarpa. A large-leaved form provides the swollen trunk and a small-leaved form makes the plant appear similar to a bonsai.

I would unpot the plant and check the condition of the roots, soil and pot drainage. Be sure everything drains well. Soil should be kept moist but not sodden. Water the plant in the sink and let it drain. Shallow bonsai-style pots dry out quickly and require extra-attention to irrigation. It looks like there is an inner black pot and an outer white pot. If the outer white pot does not have drainage holes you can use it as a saucer or cache pot to catch drips but the plant should never sit in a flooded saucer.

Place the plant in a bright, warm spot. Hopefully it will become acclimated to its new conditions. Remember to occasionally fertilize with a complete fertilizer. In the future, this plant may eventually require some trimming in order to keep its bonsai-like character.

Ask a Question