Feedback needed for raspberry raised bed.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all!
So I have a raised garden that I want to put in.
Just want to run it by you folks to see if my plan checks out.
I've drawn a lil example of my idea.
(Not seen is the cage I will have to build to keep the deer and poopin of the cats out)
Raz.jpg

I'm thinking I will go with (option A) for the size and (option 2) for the dirt depth. My main concern is if the 12 inchs of dirt depth is enough. Oh and think a little shade should be ok during the day (someone told me they should have a lil shade)

What you folks think???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Raspberries do like a bit of shade, mine are under the edge of an oak tree canopy. They will certainly keep weeds down (I see you have a bit marked 'hard to weed'), their main problem is that they tend to expand and take over the whole garden, I have a path two sides of mine and established bushes and the oak on the other two. I somewhat doubt the necessity of the work and expense off creating a raised bed, They are pretty unfussy. The other thing I would be careful of is getting them up against a wall and making the wall damp, but that may just be a thing for an English climate.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Your selection for the width seems good. However, i would keep it close to the ground. The first couple years they do not grow tall. As time goes on the get taller amd taller. Mine bed is 11" tall. It consist of 2x6x8 planks. Its is 2 planks high. I also have hardware cloth on the bottom for the moles. This doesnt seem to have a negative effect as my raspberries look great this year. You will need some sort of wire to keep them off the ground when they are loaded with berries as they will fall over.

My only suggestion would be to get several different varities. The Heritage did well the first 2 years. They look horrible this year. Yellow Ann, Champange and Crimson Red did horrilble first couple years. This year they are loaded. Picked a few Crimson Reds. Finally getting some plump juicy raspberries. Way juicer and thicker than the heritage when it did well.

If I dont forget ill get you some pics when I get home so you have a better idea what to deal with.

MOD

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Here are the pics I promised. Needs a little cleanup but you get the idea. As you can see I did not put the wire in the last two beds. Those raspberries didn't do well the last 2 years and it wasn't a priority. Now it needs help. Going to be tough running the wire now. In addition the berries aren't fully ripe and it is already bending over. Eventually they will be on the ground.

MOD

Attachments

• 20230620_183920.jpg
    20230620_183920.jpg
    370.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230620_183931.jpg
    20230620_183931.jpg
    330.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230620_184243.jpg
    20230620_184243.jpg
    352.3 KB · Views: 5

Ask a Question