Fact or fiction: garden hacks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I saw a garden tip about root rot/ the white fungus at the base of plants. Supposedly, sprinkling cinnamon around the base stops it. I lost my basil plant to that, was wondering if anyone has tried it, and if it works. A post about hacks, myths, and tips for garden plants would be a good thing. Just a “this worked, this doesn’t” would be good.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Cinnamon works on seedlings somewhat. On mature plants not so much. Horticultural cornmeal works better on both. If the fungus is white and fibrous it may not be harmful. It could be tricoderma fungi which actually eats bad fungi. Bad fungi is usually a dark color and is usually underneath the white and invisible. There are white harmful fungi but not all that common. Horticultural cornmeal is the favorite growing medium for tricoderma.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I have used it and it worked for my seedlings. I usually sterlise my compost first to kill bugs already lurking in the compost.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I saw a hack I need to try. Scraping my nails on a bar of soap to get soap under them before gardening, so soil doesn’t get under there. My gloves must have holes in the seams, when I wear them I get dirt under my nails. I think it’s time to go over my gloves well, see if I can fix them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
B3F717A6-68AE-4CCB-8CD8-E9F2532514B1.jpeg
@JamieB I get these gloves at Harbor Freight. They are cheap and work great. Since my garden is in an old cow pasture I know there are a lot of undesirable elements lurking. I put a new pair on under my work gloves before cleaning our stables, hen house or working in the manure compost. My hands always look good when finished.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Lol, I’ve got a box of the heavy duty Black Talon nitrile gloves, I use when cleaning bathrooms, nasty clogged drains, etc. but I like the feel of dirt on my hands, and I save my gloves for when things are actually nasty. I’m finding all kinds of random bits of metal, I need a metal detector!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I use an old tooth brush to scrape off dirt after gardening. Best is to wear gloves, but it just doesn't feel how as efficient wearing gloves.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Some tender sprouts just need the delicate touch! I found some tiny bulbs, I’d have thought they were just seeds if I hadn’t dug them up myself. Had to take my gloves off to pick them up.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Let's hope they are not muscaris' bulbs.

They can choke up your whole border.

images

Some people like them, but I hate them with a vengeance. I have to stamp on them to pulverise the bulbs..It's a nightmare. But if you have miles of land and you love them, they can be a good ground cover.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I have a very weak microwave, so I usually do a 8 min whole bowl of compost. It's a bowl coming with a microwave. Initially, I do 10 minutes, but my meanness kicks in, so 8 min. I think you could sterilise it on a little bonfire. That's what my son was doing when we had our last fire in the incinerator.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Let's hope they are not muscaris' bulbs.

They can choke up your whole border.

images

Some people like them, but I hate them with a vengeance. I have to stamp on them to pulverise the bulbs..It's a nightmare. But if you have miles of land and you love them, they can be a good ground cover.
I've got loads....keep pulling them up in handfuls!!!!

Ask a Question