Fact or fiction: garden hacks

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
View attachment 32644 @JamieB I get these gloves at Harbor Freight. They are cheap and work great. Since my garden is in an old cow pasture I know there are a lot of undesirable elements lurking. I put a new pair on under my work gloves before cleaning our stables, hen house or working in the manure compost. My hands always look good when finished.
For those of us in the UK, "MIL" is another term for 1/1000"

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
We’ve got some of those bulbs I think. Something that looks like that. Haven’t dug them up yet, but I want them. Good low ground cover, all the butterflies and bees like them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
I saw a garden tip about root rot/ the white fungus at the base of plants. Supposedly, sprinkling cinnamon around the base stops it. I lost my basil plant to that, was wondering if anyone has tried it, and if it works. A post about hacks, myths, and tips for garden plants would be a good thing. Just a “this worked, this doesn’t” would be good.
The title/term really provides the answer. ....rot.
This directs one to basically rotting. viz, decaying by whatever means. In this instance, horticulturally. Plant root-rot can come about in garden plants but nostly in house plants or plants contianorized.
Basically poor drainage is the problem. Non aquatic plants are the victims. The moisture becomes too great for the plants roots to deal with. So bacteria enters stage right. Whatever the visible signs might be, white fluffy whatsit or brown gunge thats the death knell. Like the drainage from the kitchen sink. A blockage, bad smells and wow.

At this juncture it is not worth entering into a scientific study.
Basically. Plant Root Rot is down to overwatering, poor drainage.
Hope this helps. Mike Allen. Plant pathologist.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
The one I was upset about was a basil that had been doing well. Watered every so often, usually less than I should have, but it’s pot was a bit hidden. I noticed it developed a white area just above the soil line, hadn’t watered it often prior, top of soil was dry. I’ve had that pop up on other seedlings, and potted plants. Just wondering if trying cinnamon is worth it.

Ask a Question