Exploring Alaska's Wilderness and Inside Passage

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Amazing wildlife! Look at those beautiful eagles and that bear! Weren't you a bit nervous to be that close from a bear? Being in the mere presence of a bear would make me shake :oops: Such a beautiful shot :) Truly majestic! But tell me, is it true people in Alaska can already see the effects of climate change? Those mountains don't seem to have that much ice left anymore... I remember Alaska to look a bit more different back in the 90's (pictures).
Keep in mind Trellum, this is the end of their summer, so I am there after most of the normal warmer weather has melted some of the ice, so the mountain would not look as icy as in February etc.
No, not nervous at all with the Bear, he was more interested in catching all the salmon swimming for quick easy food, than taking on the ten of us.
There are mixed views on the melting issue from folks that live there.
Guess you have to know what pics you saw in the 90's were they summer pics or winter pics.

Reaction score
@Esther Knapicius Most were summer pics, but I saw some winter ones. Thanks for the clarification though :) Yeah, I think this year was an abnormally warm summer all over the world, or so I have heard, so maybe that is why those mountains don't look as ice as they should, at least that is what I hope. I've read so many odds things are going on in that part of the planet(polar bears eating dolphins), specially a bit to the north.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
over here in my neck of the woods our summer was not abnormally warm. actually only a few really hot days typical in August. And, there is one day every year I pay attention to since 1979, and that day has always been the same temp every year and never rain. Frankly I think this climate change stuff is hog wash.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
This are beautiful pictures. I love orca whales and so I was especially pleased to see the ones you shared. I am planning to go to Alaska someday for my own wilderness adventure. Where I live we have Deception Pass because explorers were deceived into thinking it was the Northwest Passage centuries ago.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Deception Pass?. Have to look it up. @Rosyrain , I do not see from your side bar what state you live in, just your zone.
I live in Washington State. Deception Pass is a gorgeous place, especially during the summer when it is warm and sunny. People come from all over the world just to see the bridge.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I live in Washington State. Deception Pass is a gorgeous place, especially during the summer when it is warm and sunny. People come from all over the world just to see the bridge.
Been to Washington state several times, as I have cousins who live there, and stay with them. And I love the Oregon coastline, and coastline of Washington state. Deception pass will be on my list to visit next I am up that way. Have also somehow when in that area missed exploring Portland, Oregon, so have to get back there. Twice on the Oregon Coastline, best bed and breakfast is Sylvia Beach Hotel (look it up). Love Astoria and the way up North towns. Did get to see all the waterfalls at the state lines of Oregon and Washington state. (cannot spell that name --starts with the letter M). Would move there .

Ask a Question