Enormus new tomato

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I love the idea of growing great, big tomatoes, but here in NW England we just don't usually get enough sun for a decent crop of them, so I stick to standard and cherry sizes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Wow! This enormous tomato looks yummy, I would gladly eat it for dinner tonight:D. Unfortunately, the seeds aren't available in my country yet, I haven't seen them anywhere. Gata Montes, it would be great if you could post the seed suppliers link here:)

Reaction score
We got a biggest tomato competition running, not all results are in yet, but the biggest so far is 565g/ 19.92 ounces.

Thats from a Bulgarian seed that has been grown in the family for generations. Be interesting to see how this new one does in a competition.

Wonder if the flavour is any good though?
I was wondering that too, that the flavor would be compromised due to the size of the fruit on the plant. I grow them to eat them and not to waste one on size! I'm after flavor and not having the largest tomato in town.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
A fair bit of the flavour comes from what they're grown in and what you feed them with. I make a liquid feed from weeds with added Comfrey leaves and Seaweed.

There's an Origin protected Potato over here, Jersey Royal. It can only be called that name if its grown on the Island of Jersey where the soil is fertilized with Seaweed every year.

You can by them as seed potatoes under the name of International Kidney, but most folk who grow them say they taste nothing like Jersey Royals because they're not grown in the same soil or on an Island south of Britain.

Reaction score
Wow, I've never seen a tomato that big. That is one big tomato.
I'd be curious as to how well it tastes. Sometimes, you get the best flavors from small tomatoes. At other times, you can grow a large tomato which tastes delicious. So size doesn't always matter when it comes to tomatoes.

Reaction score
That is a huge tomato! I do have to wonder how the flavor is? Will you be purchasing some of the seeds for yourself to try @gata montes? Would love to hear about how they turn out and if the tomatoes are any good!

Reaction score
That is a huge tomato! I do have to wonder how the flavor is? Will you be purchasing some of the seeds for yourself to try @gata montes? Would love to hear about how they turn out and if the tomatoes are any good!

It is and they are launching an even bigger one this year :D

This tomato was bred not only for size but also for all round flavor and from what I've heard so far - from everyone who was lucky enough to grow SuperSauce last year - is that they were absolutely delicious either cooked or in raw in salads.

I am seriously hoping that I will be able to grow this tomato this year - but so far have been hindered by the fact that although it was originally said - that both the seeds and the plants would be available throughout Europe in the spring of this year - am not finding that to be the case and although I've tried a few very helpful seed suppliers - am still not in possession of my much wanted SuperSauce seeds and time is now running out :cry:

However should you wish to purchase them - both the seeds and the young plants are apparently widely available in the States :)

Reaction score
@gata montes I will have to look for the seeds or the plants. I wonder if our area home improvement stores will be carrying them. I don't think I have heard of them until now. It would be an interesting project to take on and see how big of a tomato we could grow!

Reaction score
@gata montes I will have to look for the seeds or the plants. I wonder if our area home improvement stores will be carrying them. I don't think I have heard of them until now. It would be an interesting project to take on and see how big of a tomato we could grow!

I know for sure that you can buy the seeds online for delivery in The States and that the young tomato plants will be on sale at all good garden stores at the beginning of the tomato planting season - so best thing is to look out for them round about that time.
If you do manage to get hold of either the seeds or the plants - I would snap them up, especially as I think - you'll be really pleased with the results - particularly as everyone who grew them last year has confirmed that they really do grow to the 2lb size - which is one seriously big tomato :D

Reaction score
I know for sure that you can buy the seeds online for delivery in The States and that the young tomato plants will be on sale at all good garden stores at the beginning of the tomato planting season - so best thing is to look out for them round about that time.
If you do manage to get hold of either the seeds or the plants - I would snap them up, especially as I think - you'll be really pleased with the results - particularly as everyone who grew them last year has confirmed that they really do grow to the 2lb size - which is one seriously big tomato :D

I will most certainly look for them! Thanks for the tip. With that size and a good taste they will go quickly!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
My experience with big tomato varieties is that they don't have the best taste. Its almost as if every tomato has the same amount of flavor no matter its size, so a bite of a giant tomato will have less flavor than a whole small tomato.

Reaction score
My experience with big tomato varieties is that they don't have the best taste. Its almost as if every tomato has the same amount of flavor no matter its size, so a bite of a giant tomato will have less flavor than a whole small tomato.

That is a real shame that you have never had the experience of eating a giant sized tomato - that has been bred not just specifically for its size but for its full delicious flavor as well - especially as there are many very large tomato varieties around - many of which have been around for nearly 50 years - and these varieties are always an extremely popular choice amongst the tomato growers - that like to grow extra large tomatoes not just for size - but ones that are packed full of flavor :)

I think if you were to try one of these varieties of tomato - that had been specifically bred to be giant sized and packed full of flavor - it would put a whole new slant on your tomato eating experience - as you would find that a large or giant sized tomato can actually taste truly delicious :D I would however agree that if you try to make what would normally be a small tomato into a large one - the result is often very disappointing flavor-wise.

Reaction score
If your growing in Hydroponics that can be countered by increasing nutrient strength, and also adding seasol, I suspect this could also be applied to soil with similar results.

Ask a Question