Enormus new tomato

Reaction score
New tomato ' Super Sauce '

super sauce.jpg

This seriously big seedless tomato has recently been introduced and is called ' Super Sauce ' because they reckon just one tomato will make a jar of sauce :)

Is an ideal choice, for those of us who find removing seeds a real pain when preparing tomatoes for sauces or sun drying, and great for salad lovers too, as they are said to have a delicious flavor.

Think these are probably a must have plant, for all those who like to grow tomatoes for size and weight, as the sight of these growing in your vegetable garden are sure to be the envy of the neighborhood :D especially when you consider, that just one tomato can be 5 inches across and 5.5 inches high and weigh up to 2 lbs.

The plants are said to be relatively pest and disease free and will crop right up to the first frost.

If you are wanting to grow ' Super Sauce' next year, they are currently available in seed catalogs now and will be available next year as plug plants.

One seriously big tomato don't you think :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Wow:D I love big tomatoes, the bigger they are, the better:D If I managed to grow a tomato this big, I would be very proud of myself. At first, I wouldn't tell anyone that it's a special variety:p

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
We got a biggest tomato competition running, not all results are in yet, but the biggest so far is 565g/ 19.92 ounces.

Thats from a Bulgarian seed that has been grown in the family for generations. Be interesting to see how this new one does in a competition.

Wonder if the flavour is any good though?

Reaction score
Wow:D I love big tomatoes, the bigger they are, the better:D If I managed to grow a tomato this big, I would be very proud of myself. At first, I wouldn't tell anyone that it's a special variety:p

Think just one these tomatoes would make a very satisfying snack :) I also, would be very proud to have grown a tomato this size, think they would be a very impressive sight in the vegetable garden.
These ' Super Sauce ' tomatoes, are going to be just great for my pasta sauces and especially so, for the sun-dried tomatoes, have to admit, am secretly looking forward to next year, when I can see the look of both amazement and astonishment, on the faces of the male vegetable gardeners around here, who grow purely for size and weight - won't be telling them that its a special variety either :D

We got a biggest tomato competition running, not all results are in yet, but the biggest so far is 565g/ 19.92 ounces.

Thats from a Bulgarian seed that has been grown in the family for generations. Be interesting to see how this new one does in a competition.

Wonder if the flavour is any good though?

That Bulgarian tomato is a mighty size for a ' normal ' tomato - wonder what their secret technique is :D
Do the judges get to taste the prize winners :)

Zigs and Becky

:confused: Am not sure which flavor, the Bulgarian or Super Sauce

As we know size and flavor, don't always go together, but they say that ' Super Sauce ' is both. Large and delicious :)
Guess we'll have to wait until next year to find out.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
That Bulgarian tomato is a mighty size for a ' normal ' tomato - wonder what their secret technique is :D
Do the judges get to taste the prize winners :)

We got shown a picture of the soup made from the biggest one so far:D Closest we'll get to tasting it:D

When we saw pics of the ones grown in Bulgaria last year we thought it was down to the hot summers out there, but this years plant was grown in Kent so it must be in the breeding, not the growing conditions.

Reaction score
Thats a bit cruel :( pictures, as far as I know aren't that tasty, but they always manage to excite the taste buds :)

Did they keep the pictures ? As its the breeding and not the growing conditions, do you think that 'Super Sauce' could be the offspring of that Bulgarian tomato :D

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I doubt the seed companies even knew about it, it was a family variety. They will now though,if they read the right forums.

Angelo 1lb 3oz.JPG

Reaction score
Zigs - Perhaps we'll be seeing it as a 'must grow' tomato plant in 2014, for those that would find ' super sauce' too big :D

Its a mighty one for sure, certainly puts its size into perspective, seeing it perched on top of the scales like that :)

Just out of curiosity, was it a green variety or is it just green, in order to stop it from deteriorating before the competition has finished. I ask because I grew a large 'green' variety this year, which turned out to be incredibly red and not green at all.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
:D

It was picked because our weather suddenly turned cold, we thought summer was over for a few weeks, its got warm again now, i'm in a t shirt with the windows & doors open:rolleyes:

The tomato has since ripened and been turned into a tasty soup i'm told :)

Reaction score
Pleased to hear the fog has lifted and you're back to experiencing the last of the summery days, before winter sets in :)

Suppose they 'll be teasing you again, :D with pictures of the tasty soup. (n)

Clever idea though, a bit of mystery regarding the flavor, is sure to make their tomato, that much more appealing.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Spoke too soon, totally fogged in today, at least its warm :)

She did post a pic of the soup:D Good job i've got my own tomatoes.

Reaction score
Well at least you've got warm fog :)

Always think its better not to mention weather, as for some reason, every time I do - it suddenly does the total opposite, but its very selective and only chooses to do it in the Winter, never when I want some rain at night , for the plants in the summer :D

I'm sure you appreciated the picture of the soup, :D this sounds a bit naughty, but perhaps you should make some soup from your tomatoes, and return the kind gesture :giggle:

Reaction score
Now that is a big tomato. I would love to have that since I love eating them. I eat tomatoes all the time and I never get tired of them. I wouldn't mind having that tomato for lunch.

Reaction score
An update on seed availability for all of you wanting to grow this super sized tomato.
Although the seeds and the plants are and will be available to all of you that live in The States, some of you who live in Europe may have experienced difficulty locating the seeds, like I have, and even though they were promised to be available in Europe by the autumn, are still not easy to find, but don't despair yet, because I think I have found a solution and once I have successfully acquired the seeds - will post the seed suppliers link.

Meanwhile this is a picture a real Supersauce Tomato that someone grew last year

Super Sauce Tomato.jpeg

pretty impressive don't you think :)

Ask a Question