Encouraging Hedgehogs

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
The slugs like the spikes hedgehog food too but im wondering if hedgehogs only eat certain slugs?

I thought that hedgehogs ate loads of slugs, so I did some reading and was surprised to find this out:

• Hedgehogs mainly eat beetles and caterpillars, not slugs and snails
  • The idea that they only eat slugs and snails is very wrong. Only approximately 5% of their diet naturally will be slugs or snails.
  • They will only eat a lot of slugs and snails when they are starving and no other food is available.
  • A hedgehog that is forced to rely only on slugs and snails will not survive long. Offering a hedgehog additional food is the best thing for the hedgehog

Maybe I'll get some hedgehog food in just in case :).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
No idea,depends on the weather
Country
United Kingdom
I thought that hedgehogs ate loads of slugs, so I did some reading and was surprised to find this out:

Maybe I'll get some hedgehog food in just in case :).
Well that explains why the slugs don't run when the hedgehogs come! i will be adding a beer trap too then ..just hope the hogs arn't partial to a tipple :)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
You could cover the beer trap so that only the slugs can get to it, keeps rain out too :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I'm just wondering...

Everywhere I grow veggies I have very thick mulch and I do have tons of snails/slugs, but very little damage to things like tomatoes, lettuce, broccoli, brussels sprouts, mustards....However, I do find what I believe is damage to my leafy greens from snails/slugs, but those are only the lowest of leaves that hit the mulch.

I just wonder if that's because they're so tied up eating all the decaying plant matter, including sticks and logs and all the kitchen scraps...

Just wondering...:geek:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
No idea,depends on the weather
Country
United Kingdom
I'm just wondering...

Everywhere I grow veggies I have very thick mulch and I do have tons of snails/slugs, but very little damage to things like tomatoes, lettuce, broccoli, brussels sprouts, mustards....However, I do find what I believe is damage to my leafy greens from snails/slugs, but those are only the lowest of leaves that hit the mulch.

I just wonder if that's because they're so tied up eating all the decaying plant matter, including sticks and logs and all the kitchen scraps...

Just wondering...:geek:
@zigs will more than likely know what munches what plant...i dont mind them helping themselves as i always grow too much,just winds me up when they poop on them! :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are these hedgehogs the same species as African hedgehogs?
No, they are not. The African hedgehogs are bred as pets, and need an awful lot of care. They need heat and special care, and it is a very bad idea to try keeping them.
The European hedgehog is bigger, and survives perfectly well in our climate.

Ask a Question