Encouraging Hedgehogs

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Since we moved to our house around 6 years ago, I don't think we've seen a single hedgehog (or evidence of any) in our garden. We're only a 100m or so from a golf course and farmers fields, so there is plenty of other wildlife that makes it to backgardens around here... but never hedgehogs. Growing up, we had some pay a visit every year.

I think a hedgehog could get in to the garden easily enough, as although there is a fence, there are lots of holes and ways in (with hedges behind them to hide in).

I'm considering making a logpile in a corner, as I've got plenty of lime tree logs left over from pruning in the autumn that aren't good for much else.

Although there is a pond, it's raised - so perhaps a source of water would be useful too.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone here has has any success, as I'm keen to encourage more wildlife in general. Seems like a good time to get planning before spring hits and they come out of hibernation :).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks @roadrunner :). We've got a load of mulch down in the garden, so that's good to know - probably 1/2 the back garden is surrounded by mulch as it's the only thing that keeps the weeds manageable.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
They haven't hibernated here this year, still seeing their poo around the place o_O

Some good news, metaldehyde is being banned next year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
No idea,depends on the weather
Country
United Kingdom
I didnt think i had more 2 than calling at mine until i got a trail cam,i think some could of been Hoglets as i had 5 at one time in a shot! i have 2 ponds plus i buy spikes hedgehog food and meal worm for them that is probably why i still have too many slugs :)
Tried to attach the video but its too big for the site

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Please think twice about using this soft kind of netting, or any plastic netting this summer. Many hogs suffer very cruel endings in this way - a terrifying way to die, and causing dreadful injury.
These creatures are one of the very best friends to the British gardener, and rid the garden of slugs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Yes i have,thank you @Ian i will upload it to there and share..have one eating a frog too,gruesome :X3:...
Edit..here is the frog video,fast forward to 2 mins as im just stood waiting for it to appear from my rough patch before it goes into the Gunnera behind me ..

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
LIKE THE VIDIOS Joolz catching five on your trail cam is great and the hedge hog and frog is even better :) I've just set up a trail cam in my garden & fingers Crossed I'd love to see a Hedge hog or two:DBeen doing my best to make it a safe garden for them for years but no Sightings as yet. Vary rarely see them anywhere anymore.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
LIKE THE VIDIOS Joolz catching five on your trail cam is great and the hedge hog and frog is even better :) I've just set up a trail cam in my garden & fingers Crossed I'd love to see a Hedge hog or two:DBeen doing my best to make it a safe garden for them for years but no Sightings as yet. Vary rarely see them anywhere anymore.
Thank you @Daren,i hope you capture some!,ive taken my cams in for winter as didnt know how low temps would affect them

Ask a Question