Earthworms in your flower pots?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
@Claudine, I understand. Do you have additional plants on your balcony?

@Zigs, I think they are little white-ish bugs. I just put the cloche back down over them hoping lack of oxygen would take care of the problem since the rose stem seemed to already be done for. I still have some of that garlic, pepper soap solution. I suppose I could try that...

@Maddie, I usually don't loosen the soil, or even add more compost. I've only recently started using compost and feeding plants. I used to just let them do their thing, but now that I am starting to collect food plants I am trying to be more conscientious with their care.

If I get more than 5 flowers on the blueberry bush this year, I guess that will let me know I'm doing something right, other than just keeping the plants alive.

I gave the outdoor plants coffee water last week and I have some banana water ready this week. Earthworms are still a ways off yet :)

Reaction score
Good going Chanell, with all that you are adding just add a handful of vermicompost and you will have earthworms in no time.. your plants will thank you for them :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
@Claudine, I understand. Do you have additional plants on your balcony?

No. My mother took over the balcony and she keeps her plants there - mostly geraniums. She loves gardening too but we like different kinds of plants and have different ideas of a perfect garden. She wouldn't mind if I kept some of my plants there but I just prefer to have them in my room (I wish my room was bigger, lol:p ).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
@Maddie, I'll have to check with the guy I get my compost from and see if he has any.

@Claudine, That's too bad about the balcony, but at least you can still enjoy the view of your mom's plants without all the work :)

Reaction score
I don't get what all the fuss is about. I like earthworms. I think they're kind of cute, in a harmless ,pink ,wiggly way. I was moving one of my outdoor plants to a bigger pot and an earthworm fell out of the dirt. I was like "Yay, free worm."
I picked him up and put him back in the plant and went on with my day.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I don't get what all the fuss is about. I like earthworms. I think they're kind of cute, in a harmless ,pink ,wiggly way. I was moving one of my outdoor plants to a bigger pot and an earthworm fell out of the dirt. I was like "Yay, free worm."
I picked him up and put him back in the plant and went on with my day.

ROFLOL! Good for you, I think some people just get wigged out by critters they don't quite understand. We're used to domestic animals because we know what to expect from them, but some things may bite or be poisonous and I guess worms are in that category until proven otherwise.

It's the same way with lizards and spiders.

I don't know.:rolleyes:

What am I going to do with you lot on our Garden Forums annual fishing trip if you can't handle worms:D

Hey Zigs, here's one for your fishing trip!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
My mate Andy holds the worms in his mouth while he's baiting up,

baitingup-1-1.jpg

Don't think i'd do that though, Ragworms can really bite:eek:

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Oops, just looked closer, those are Lugworms, they're ok.

Reaction score
ROFLOL! Good for you, I think some people just get wigged out by critters they don't quite understand. We're used to domestic animals because we know what to expect from them, but some things may bite or be poisonous and I guess worms are in that category until proven otherwise.

It's the same way with lizards and spiders.

I like lizards, I always have, ever since I was a kid.
Here in Florida, we have a lot of geckos everywhere. They crawl on the walls of most homes, harmlessly eating insects that we don't want in the house anyway. I have 3 geckos that crawl on my kitchen window every night and I can see the underside of them clinging to the window as I stand at the sink ,washing dishes. They are cute little guys.

There are also some bigger geckos with curly tails and they're not shy around people. I used to sit at my desk to work and sometimes I would lift up a sheet of paper and find a gecko sleeping under it. One time she crawled up the outside of my shirt sleeve and sat on my shoulder. I thought that was adorable.

There are also a lot of iguanas in Florida because people used to buy them as pets and then they reproduced out of control ,so there are wild iguanas running around. I once saw a huge one, almost as big as a cat.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
There are also a lot of iguanas in Florida because people used to buy them as pets and then they reproduced out of control ,so there are wild iguanas running around. I once saw a huge one, almost as big as a cat.

That is one big lizard! My mom thought she saw an Iguana one day, but it never came back so we never knew for sure. I hear the real issue in Florida right now is snakes - former pets that were released and are now plaguing the area.

My mate Andy holds the worms in his mouth while he's baiting up,

In a word, "Ew!"

Reaction score
I like worms and flies as long as I don't have to handle them too much or have them in my food... but i do not like them enough to keep them in my mouth :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I like worms and flies as long as I don't have to handle them too much or have them in my food... but i do not like them enough to keep them in my mouth :D

Maddie, I don't even want gummy worms in my mouth! Flies are not even up for discussion. As far as I am concerned the only thing they are good for is food for lizards and carnivorous plants.

Reaction score
Maddie, I don't even want gummy worms in my mouth! Flies are not even up for discussion. As far as I am concerned the only thing they are good for is food for lizards and carnivorous plants.
LOL, I love photographing worms and flies. I have written articles on moths and insects and stuff like that..They are more of a photo gallery type of articles.. lol .. I am fine with them as long as they stay in their territory and don't trouble me too much lol :D

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I didn't know worms laid eggs. I plant to purchase some red wriggles to put in my compost to enrich my soil. I thought about putting worms in my house plants but never got to it. Will put some worms in the plants I have right now.

Reaction score
I didn't know worms laid eggs. I plant to purchase some red wriggles to put in my compost to enrich my soil. I thought about putting worms in my house plants but never got to it. Will put some worms in the plants I have right now.
Now you know! Yes they will do your plants some good.. but if you already have them in your compost they will be there in your plants already, you really do not have to add them to your pots.

Ask a Question