Dyna-Gro Test Grow

Heirloom Roma Tomatos in RDWC using Dyna-Gro nutrients.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
You might consider not using scissors and instead use a slicing razor knife. One aspect of that reasoning is the idea that scissors crush the vascular pipes of the stem where a slice is not so bad and at least allows some flow. I guess thats why doctors use scalpels, which incidentally one can purchase. Except maybe in the UK as they are probably too long a bladelength.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Hahaa
That's a good idea. I'll only use razors from now on actually because that makes perfect sense to me. Thanks.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I guess I haven't shown my RDWC setup yet. It's a 50 gallon setup. Mainly the Romas will be going in here. Mine is DIY, The retail cost for something like this is absolutely astronomical. I think I have $100 in it -all in.
The pictures kind of tell the story, but I can clarify through any questions.
20181102_201356.jpg
20181102_203719.jpg
20181103_011342.jpg
20181103_161222.jpg
20181103_064332.jpg
20181103_064306.jpg
20181103_071709.jpg
20181103_161231.jpg
20181104_015418.jpg
20181103_161242.jpg

I've done a few plants in it. It works well. I plan on putting it through its paces with the tomatoes though.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I have a few tents. The one that I put that one in is a 4x4. I have another one next to it that I'm also going to put another system just like this in.
For now I have plants in coco pots in there though. So when I clear them out I'll do that. In the meantime I am already getting set up for it. I went ahead and put in the top feed, and am going to use it as a dripper system for the coco. No more hand feeding, and I set it up on a timer.
20181111_234720.jpg
20181111_234756.jpg
20181111_234810.jpg

When it is time, all I have to do is spin the tub on the left around and pick up where I left off.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
You have a future as a plumber. Will the tomatoes be determinate? I am curious about air circulation and fungi. And bacteria too, but your insect level will be unique.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
You have a future as a plumber. Will the tomatoes be determinate? I am curious about air circulation and fungi. And bacteria too, but your insect level will be unique.
I'm retired, lol. Air circulation is great. My insect level should stay zero. I used to use Hydroguard in all of my hydroponic systems to rid unwanted bacteria, but am going to run Dyna-Gro's Dyna-Zyme to test it out. I also can run a low water temperature, so that helps. Under 72F is where you want your water.

Dyna-ZYME™

Description
Dyna-ZYME™ is designed to cleanse your plants roots, soil, media and hydroponic systems of plant exudates, bio-film, sludge, slime and algae.

• Dyna-ZYME is a one part blend of proprietary enzymes.
  • Works in conjunction with mycorrhizae and beneficial bacteria to break down nutrients, organics, sweeteners, carbohydrates and dead plant material.
  • This clears the pores of the roots allowing for vigorous nutrient uptake into the plant.
  • It is naturally brewed with certified organic and food grade ingredients.
  • Dyna-ZYME is 100% pure enzymes with no bacteria, oils, detergents, soaps, surfactants, chlorine, hydrogen peroxide, collodial silver or harsh chemicals that can hurt your plants or microbes.
Application Rates:
Use 1 tsp. per gallon of water at each or every other watering. Reapply with every nutrient change.

Recommended Crops: All plants in hydroponic and aquaponic systems as well as soil.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Day 5
20181115_120805.jpg
20181115_120813.jpg

The romas are just starting to come up. A little bit more and I'll move them to hydroton.
20181115_123003.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Day 6
It's time to transplant the tomatoes. Finally the fun gets to start.
20181116_041620.jpg

I used coco to sprout them. After the tap root is about 1" long I'transplant them. When the plants get established, this hydroton is small, but at this stage, they are boulders. The small roots need to be touching the hydroton or they will dry out. I sort them out and try to just use the small ones for this part. These are 2" netpots.
20181115_214713.jpg

20181115_214201.jpg

I mixed up a week 1 solution at 150ppm pH 6.0 and soaked the hydroton for a few hours so that they can absorb the solution.
20181116_041655.jpg

I then sat the plant in the hydroton and filled in around it. I put the net pots in a tray and filled it up about 1" with the week 1 solution.
20181116_042536.jpg

The hydroton will wick this water up and feed the plants, so all I have to do is keep water in the tray. They aren't drinking much right now, so I shouldn't have to do anything to them for a few days.
The roots aren't in the water, they are above it. They are feeding though capillary action from the hydroton.
20181116_044003.jpg

This is a stage. the next stage is when the roots start to show. I will then move them to 6" net pots. That will be their last pot, and after some growth they will go into the RDWC.
So now we just watch for roots.
Everything else is coming on strong. Still feeding week 1 at 1/3 strength.
20181116_054130.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
your insect level will be unique.
I meant to come back to this. I said it should stay at zero, and here's why. Nothing in my house came from outdoors. Everything came from seed, so I haven't brought anything in on a plant. Also, I have no soil in my house. I use hydro for everything, and even this is considered hydroponics. It is also called a soillless medium. Insects don't do too well in it. The only thing I really have to worry about is fungus gnats or something that flies in from outside. I try to keep a clean work space, and have had fungus gnats before, but not in this house. For no soil, things have to get pretty bad for them to show up. It's frozen outside, so hopefully I'm good for the winter.
I also have some help from Dyna-Gro's Pro-TeKt
20181116_065027.jpg
20181116_065043.jpg

The silica helps to strengthen the cell walls of the plant. This actually makes it harder to chew for insects, and they move on.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I like and use silica myself in my garden. I really like that it can be found with potassium, something my clay leaches. I also like that there is a residue on the plants that directly intervenes with airborne pathogens that will land on the surface of a plant, much as an agricultural oil would, save I believe it lasts longer in the weather. I know there are powdered versions available for those with a tiller like myself, but the essential oil surfacing aspect is very useful in the sense that in order to pentetrate cells most fungi and bacteria use biochemical means which a silicone "wax" precludes. Of course there are clays that can be sprayed toward the same end, but a breathable "plant wax" is a cool idea. Obviously this does not stop anything capable of entering stomata.

*or wounds from piercing insects.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I've been away doing upgrades to my system. Since I was cleaning it and had it empty, I did a few things I have been wanting to do.

The first is I was going to experiment with the waterfall technique to add O2 to the water. I've always used air stones in the past. I decided to add the air stones in addition to the waterfall so that it won't be a problem.

The second is I wanted a fail safe in the event of roots clogging a drain, A lot of people run a screen of some sort, but roots will clog just about anything, so I put in an overflow. Every time I check the reservoir, which is at least once a day I can glance at the overflow pipe and nothing should be coming out of it. If there is water coming out of it, it means I have a clog, or the beginning of a clog and that bucket's drain is being bypassed, instead of flooding and pumping basically the entire system on the floor.

Normally the reservoir returns should look like this.

I had to test it, so I used a 100% clog for the test and let it run.

In no time it had filled up and began to bypass instead of flood.

Water coming out of the small pipe tells me that I have a clog, and I can start looking for it to unclog it (cut roots back).

Now I can sleep at night not having to worry about it. I have to prep the water and let everything stabilize before adding plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I've been away doing upgrades to my system. Since I was cleaning it and had it empty, I did a few things I have been wanting to do.

The first is I was going to experiment with the waterfall technique to add O2 to the water. I've always used air stones in the past. I decided to add the air stones in addition to the waterfall so that it won't be a problem.

The second is I wanted a fail safe in the event of roots clogging a drain, A lot of people run a screen of some sort, but roots will clog just about anything, so I put in an overflow. Every time I check the reservoir, which is at least once a day I can glance at the overflow pipe and nothing should be coming out of it. If there is water coming out of it, it means I have a clog, or the beginning of a clog and that bucket's drain is being bypassed, instead of flooding and pumping basically the entire system on the floor.

Normally the reservoir returns should look like this.

I had to test it, so I used a 100% clog for the test and let it run.

In no time it had filled up and began to bypass instead of flood.

Water coming out of the small pipe tells me that I have a clog, and I can start looking for it to unclog it (cut roots back).

Now I can sleep at night not having to worry about it. I have to prep the water and let everything stabilize before adding plants.

That is something I have never seen. Makes solid sense though!

Ask a Question