Dying rubber plant

Plantboy

Love & Light
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
I brought this beautiful variegated rubber plant maybe 3-4 months ago in bad health, I have seen slight improvements since re potting her in a freshly fertilised larger container... an old honey extraction drum! But she doesn't seem to be looking 100% still?

Is she irreversibly dying on me? Am I under watering or over watering? Originally thinking that was the case I have been a little tight with the watering..

I also have read that they like humid environments but often see them quite healthy and pictured in places indoors in a casual home that doesn't seem to be an overly humid location?
I'm a little lost and not all the information online is helpful.

I'm new to horticulture and I don't want her to suffer anymore than she has, I'm learning and trying my best!
she's is one of my favorite girls please help me get her back into shape guys and girls :)

Attachments

• IMG_20200420_105036_5.jpg
    IMG_20200420_105036_5.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_20200420_105145_7.jpg
    IMG_20200420_105145_7.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_20200420_105104_4.jpg
    IMG_20200420_105104_4.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 184
Reaction score
Country
United States
It looks like she is too dry and falling in a drought state. Stick your finger down the side of the container and feel how dry she is a inch or two below the surface. If the soil is as dry as the pot I'm sticking my finger in you need to water.

Attachments

• IMG_1063.JPG
    IMG_1063.JPG
    187.6 KB · Views: 133

Plantboy

Love & Light
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Hmmmm very confused here oneeye, just used your diagnosis Tek and wasn't overly worried with the level of moisture at the top of the drum! It was a little dry but not overly that bad there was slight moisture.. I might give her a good watering now after your further advice from this reply! Because your opinion on diagnosis might change.
When checking my drainage at the bottom there was lots of moist soil. Pics attached!
I can't see her lacking water unless her roots aren't that far down yet :s

Attachments

• IMG_20200420_131524_6.jpg
    IMG_20200420_131524_6.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_20200420_131543_3.jpg
    IMG_20200420_131543_3.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_20200420_131716_9.jpg
    IMG_20200420_131716_9.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_20200420_131519_9.jpg
    IMG_20200420_131519_9.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 128
Reaction score
Country
United States
I can't feel the soil only you can, I'm going by what you are saying and show above in the photos, but I'm guessing. If your soil is wet don't water it, and if its wet then that is your problem. That's what's causing your Ficus Elastica to wilt (over-watering) or not enough drainage. She's in too big of a container that holds a little too much water. Pick up the pot off the floor and put a oscillating fan in the room to keep the moisture moving and allow the top 2 inches to dry well. Plantboy I only got one eye.

Attachments

• IMG_1475.JPG
    IMG_1475.JPG
    140.9 KB · Views: 124
Reaction score
Country
United States
Plantboy here's a rubber tree that was just watered yesterday, see how the leaves have that wilted look. It looks like she's thirsty but she's not, and she will look like that for about 3 to 5 days. A lot of people misinterpret wilting and needing water. When Rubber trees get too dry they will lose the oldest leaves first by yellowing and dropping off. . Water management is most important skill in all Horticulture.

Attachments

• IMG_1536.JPG
    IMG_1536.JPG
    231.6 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_1534.JPG
    IMG_1534.JPG
    192.9 KB · Views: 139

Plantboy

Love & Light
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
I
I can't feel the soil only you can, I'm going by what you are saying and show above in the photos, but I'm guessing. If your soil is wet don't water it, and if its wet then that is your problem. That's what's causing your Ficus Elastica to wilt (over-watering) or not enough drainage. She's in too big of a container that holds a little too much water. Pick up the pot off the floor and put a oscillating fan in the room to keep the moisture moving and allow the top 2 inches to dry well. Plantboy I only got one eye.
I wouldn't say it is wet but its moist! The soil at the bottom is very wet though! Which leaves me to say I think your right about the drum being too big and me having a drainage problem here ):
Im very tempted to take her out and remove the soil ect and fill the majority of the bottom half of the drum with something to fill the space and further promote drainage instead of filling from bottom to top with soil like I have stupidly done....
I have loads of perlite and vermiculite that I'll now mix in generously with her new mix!
Id like your advice and green light on that though -__-

PS you have some collection :) I love your rubber plants thankyou for helping me man big respect !!!!
️ ️

Plantboy

Love & Light
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Plantboy here's a rubber tree that was just watered yesterday, see how the leaves have that wilted look. It looks like she's thirsty but she's not, and she will look like that for about 3 to 5 days. A lot of people misinterpret wilting and needing water. When Rubber trees get too dry they will lose the oldest leaves first by yellowing and dropping off. . Water management is most important skill in all Horticulture.
I'm taking note and taking big interest here I really appreciate you educating me ok the knowledge will be passed on and I will do good with it ✊ ❤️

Plantboy

Love & Light
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
I have been taught to re pot at dusk... When the sun is going down not to stress too much so I have put her on the balcony for now as pictured.
What's your take on that advice I feel you seem to know a tad more than the guy who gave me this advise so I'll take the liberty quick of getting a cross reference if you don't mind oneeye

Attachments

• IMG_20200420_175107_3.jpg
    IMG_20200420_175107_3.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 124
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
DON’T REPOT YOUR PLANT!!!!!

You’ve done quite enough damage already. The drooping leaves are the oldest ones that the plant doesn’t need anymore.What your plant needs is to be kept moist but not soggy (it’s plenty moist right now) in moderate to bright light. The humidity is irrelevant.

New plant parents need to remember that normally plants don’t get up and move to a new location any time conditions don’t suit them, they stay put and adapt. They also don’t change the soil around their roots. The best thing to do is find a location that is appropriate to the plants needs, water according to those needs and enjoy the beauty you’ve brought into your home. Watch for pests and diseases, control them as needed. Helicopter gardening is just as bad as helicopter parenting.

Happy plant parenting!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Plantboy the important thing is to not let the sun hit the roots anytime during transplanting. Variegated Rubber Trees like well lit spots with indirect sunlight. Avoid direct sunlight, it burns the leaves. Also avoid heavy shaded places because your plant will lose its variegation.

Last edited:

Plantboy

Love & Light
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
DON’T REPOT YOUR PLANT!!!!!

You’ve done quite enough damage already. The drooping leaves are the oldest ones that the plant doesn’t need anymore.What your plant needs is to be kept moist but not soggy (it’s plenty moist right now) in moderate to bright light. The humidity is irrelevant.

New plant parents need to remember that normally plants don’t get up and move to a new location any time conditions don’t suit them, they stay put and adapt. They also don’t change the soil around their roots. The best thing to do is find a location that is appropriate to the plants needs, water according to those needs and enjoy the beauty you’ve brought into your home. Watch for pests and diseases, control them as needed. Helicopter gardening is just as bad as helicopter parenting.

Happy plant parenting!
Enough said, thankyou for opening my eyes up to these factors! Much appreciated.
Im greatfull for any guidance in helping me care for the plants I'm really growing to love thankyou.

Plantboy

Love & Light
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
@oneeye @cpp gardener

Thanks for getting back to me and helping me! I brought her in I'll health cheaply and had it in mind I'd nurse her with
the information online, But it's not always clear and is contradictory at times and leaves me indecisive.
So I really do appreciate having you guys to turn to with real hands on experience.
Thankyou for taking the time to educate me in caring for my girl <3

Ask a Question