Dunham Massey in the Autumn

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
There are only a few short weeks between these photos and the photos I posted yesterday, but it felt like a completely different season!

DSC_0002.JPG

This fella was huge! He seemed pretty happy to be in a field of lady cows though :)
DSC_0005.JPG

DSC_0011.JPG

The old watermill - it's still functioning and powers the workshop inside
DSC_0015.JPG

DSC_0019.JPG

I really liked how the sun was catching the tufts of grass here:
DSC_0031.JPG

DSC_0037.JPG

LOTS of acorns!! Standing under an oak tree was a risky business!
DSC_0038.JPG

DSC_0050.JPG

DSC_0061.JPG

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Cool :)

They're calling this year a "Mast" year, because of the mega amount of Beechmast and Acorns.

Good year to put your pigs out to pannage :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I love how green is the grass in the third picture, it looks beautiful! Almost like spring:) I already miss spring!
The old mill is wonderful. Is it just me, or buildings built in the past are much prettier than the modern ones?
(Becky, I accidentaly double clicked on 'like' button and I unliked your post, I'm very sorry for it:( Fortunately, I was able to immediately 'like' it again:)) I love all the pictures that you posted!

Reaction score
That foliage is beautiful. I bet the squirrels are having a ball with all of those acorns. It is wonderful to have a place like that to visit and snap pictures of. Can you get inside of the old mill or is it off limits to visitors? I would love to see shots of the inside and the workings of it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Cool :)

They're calling this year a "Mast" year, because of the mega amount of Beechmast and Acorns.

Good year to put your pigs out to pannage :)

Ah I see, I thought I'd seen more this year than previous years! Nice to know there's a name for it. There were so many times I nearly got hit on the head by a falling acorn / chestnut / conker I almost thought there was a rogue squirrel targeting me!! :LOL:

I love how green is the grass in the third picture, it looks beautiful! Almost like spring:) I already miss spring!
The old mill is wonderful. Is it just me, or buildings built in the past are much prettier than the modern ones?
(Becky, I accidentaly double clicked on 'like' button and I unliked your post, I'm very sorry for it:( Fortunately, I was able to immediately 'like' it again:)) I love all the pictures that you posted!

I know what you mean about the mill, they don't build them like that any more sadly! There are a fair few grand old buildings here in Manchester which started their lives as warehouses - there was a lot of money around during the industrial revolution and people wanted to show it off! Here's an example: Watts Warehouse

That foliage is beautiful. I bet the squirrels are having a ball with all of those acorns. It is wonderful to have a place like that to visit and snap pictures of. Can you get inside of the old mill or is it off limits to visitors? I would love to see shots of the inside and the workings of it.

Thankfully the mill is open on certain days so that visitors can take a look - it's full of old tools such as upright drills and log saws. Fascinating stuff! I'll try and get some photos next time I go.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I've been hit by quite a few.

Nuts that is, not Squirrels.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Did have a Blackbird fall out of a tree onto my head. Don't know who was more suprised, me or him.

Reaction score
@Becky I would love to see some of those pictures when you get a chance to take them! We have an old mill a county or so over but they only allow you on the outside. I have often wondered what it looked like on the inside.

Reaction score
These photos are gorgeous. The cows are so adorable and that bull seems to be content to have the run of that huge field.
I love that final photo of the beads of dew glittering on the grass.

Reaction score
Country
United States
My virtual garden tour's tenth stop (last for today) is Dunham Massey, Cheshire.
A bucolic gazebo at its most rustic, druidic even. I believe the official name is the 'Bark House'.
dunham-massey-hall-garden.jpg

Ask a Question