Last of the summer sun in Dunham Massey

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Not far from where I live there is a National Trust park called Dunham Massey, and we tend to go there quite a lot. A couple of weeks back we had a beautiful day - the weather has been awful since so looking back it feels like it was the very last bit of summer sun we'll see for a while. I thought you might like to see my photos!

DSC_0076.JPG

I think this guy was a little camera shy!
DSC_0078.JPG

As you can see, lots of people had the same idea as we did!
DSC_0093.JPG

DSC_0095.JPG

Looks like someone had built a brick wall inside this tree - it looked pretty old so it could have been done while the tree was still alive. Perhaps they were trying to reinforce the trunk?
DSC_0099.JPG

DSC_0103.JPG

DSC_0108.JPG

Looks like a rowan tree took root in an old oak tree!
DSC_0119.JPG

This little guy was catching a few rays next to the pond :)
DSC_0144.JPG

And finally the queue for an ice-cream!! :eek:
DSC_0166.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks zigs! We're having a walk there tomorrow with a friend so hopefully I'll be able to get some nice autumnal snaps :geek:

Reaction score
Beautiful, Becky! I love it when you all share your photos!! The picture of the tree growing within a tree reminds me of a photo I shot many years ago....going to go looking for it. I love stuff like that! So nice to be among others who find beauty and joy in such things. All too often I get funny looks for the excitement I have over such things! The stump was about three feet across, if I remember correctly. I loved how the tree growing inside decided to toss a "leg" out! :)
IMG_0764.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
That's a really interesting photo, I can see why it caught your eye! Was it part of the original tree or a completely different one that took root in the stump?

Reaction score
That's a really interesting photo, I can see why it caught your eye! Was it part of the original tree or a completely different one that took root in the stump?

I don't know! I don't remember, at any rate! I can't remember what type of tree the young one was, and I'm not positive re the stump.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Becky, the dragonfly is so beautiful! And the deers and birds, I love them all, Dunham Massey is a wonderful place:) I would love to see it!
Wow, the ice-cream there must be absolutely delicious if somany people decided to stay in the queue!:D
Babble64, the tree looks hilarious!:D

Reaction score
Beautiful pictures. Is the shy fellow and albino? He looks quite peaceful sitting there in the tall grass. That is a very long line to get ice cream! Looks as if everyone was enjoying the last of summer.

@Babble64 that tree is very interesting!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Wow, the ice-cream there must be absolutely delicious if somany people decided to stay in the queue!:D

It's fairly local and they have different flavours from week to week. I think my favourites so far have been Turkish delight (rose ice cream with chocolate sauce swirled through) and honeycomb mint. Yum! :D

Beautiful pictures. Is the shy fellow and albino? He looks quite peaceful sitting there in the tall grass.

I don't think he's an albino, he's a fallow deer and they have different coloured coats. Most common is brown but there are white and black ones too - as far as I know!

Reaction score
We had our first hard frost last night. It looked SO lovely on the fresh cut grass! Each blade was crisp and clear. The sun's out now and melting it away...and that means sparkles. I love to see all the different ways that nature's beauty shines through. I love the trees, covered with leaves, backgrounded by brilliantly blue sky. But I also love the site of a golden orange sunset through bare trees. Some days I wish I had time to do nothing more than sit and look, all day, to see the changes.

Reaction score
I don't think he's an albino, he's a fallow deer and they have different coloured coats. Most common is brown but there are white and black ones too - as far as I know!

Near where I live we have a herd of white whitetail deer. They aren't albino, but piebald (the term piebald, or bald, as in the case of the bald eagle, referring to whiteness, not lack of hair) These deer are a mutation that occurred in the 1950's, if I remember correctly, when a doe gave birth for an unknown reason to two white fawns. Because the herd is isolated within a fenced-in governmental area, the numbers of piebald deer have increased, as they breed with each other. I believe the brown coloration normally found in whitetail deer is the dominant gene color, but because these deer are isolated from others the recessive gene shows through more often. There are a number of normal colored whitetail deer present, also. Some of the deer are of mixed colors as well. The all white deer don't have red eyes, as albinos do, and their coloration doesn't come from lack of pigment, as I believe is the case with albinism.

Reaction score
@Becky thank you for enlightening me! He is a beautiful fellow.

Near where I live we have a herd of white whitetail deer. They aren't albino, but piebald (the term piebald, or bald, as in the case of the bald eagle, referring to whiteness, not lack of hair) These deer are a mutation that occurred in the 1950's, if I remember correctly, when a doe gave birth for an unknown reason to two white fawns. Because the herd is isolated within a fenced-in governmental area, the numbers of piebald deer have increased, as they breed with each other. I believe the brown coloration normally found in whitetail deer is the dominant gene color, but because these deer are isolated from others the recessive gene shows through more often. There are a number of normal colored whitetail deer present, also. Some of the deer are of mixed colors as well. The all white deer don't have red eyes, as albinos do, and their coloration doesn't come from lack of pigment, as I believe is the case with albinism.

Thank you for the term and the info Babble64. Very interesting facts.

Ask a Question