Do you use last year's vegetable seeds?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Since my new garden was quite small last year, I have a lot of sweet corn seeds left over from 2017. Today I planted 9 seeds in a container and put them on the heating pad. If at least 8 germinate I will use them for this year's crop. Does anyone else save vegetable seeds past their recommended date? What kind of luck do you have with germination?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Since my new garden was quite small last year, I have a lot of sweet corn seeds left over from 2017. Today I planted 9 seeds in a container and put them on the heating pad. If at least 8 germinate I will use them for this year's crop. Does anyone else save vegetable seeds past their recommended date? What kind of luck do you have with germination?
I usually have left overs and try to use them all up. I have found that most are still good up to 3 years from purchase. It seems that the ones packaged in paper last longer than the ones in tin or plastic. This year I planted bananna peppers and hot wax peppers that were 4 years old and not a one germinated but serannos, giant marconnis and numex big jim which are 3 years old all germinated fine. Then I also planted new tomato seeds and only got 40% germination when on the package it stated the germination rate was 85%

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Does anyone else save vegetable seeds past their recommended date? What kind of luck do you have with germination?

I've used pea seeds up to the third year after purchasing. For everything else, I typically use them for two years before I run out of them. They all seem to germinate just fine. I've read that the significant drop off comes during or after third year, but I haven't had enough experience with that.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have planted beans that were 10 years old and tomatoes that were over 20. While they took a while to come up, the plants did just fine. I guess if they germinate at all, they act just like normal and produce with no problem. I usually try not to use seeds more than two years old, though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have planted beans that were 10 years old and tomatoes that were over 20. While they took a while to come up, the plants did just fine. I guess if they germinate at all, they act just like normal and produce with no problem. I usually try not to use seeds more than two years old, though.
I suppose that under the correct conditions seeds have an unlimited life span. Archaeologists found some type of grain seeds in the pyramids in Egypt and they germinated.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
My asparagus seeds still came out last year after more than 5 or 6 year in a paper bag package. But now I have killed them as I really don't have the room for it. I am more into flowers.

I think most seeds have a package date. Some say as good as 2020.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Seeds which will be forever ancient: cauliflower seeds - can't be bothered to build net and cover them with leaves. 2) early sprouting brassica - take up too much room and no florets. Those 20 florets on the package cover are photoshopped in. 3) asparagus - never have room for them. 4) carrot - worried about carrot flies. 4) Eryngium worried that they will go next the kerb and prick passer-bys.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Update: I planted 9 corn seeds from last year as a test and all 9 came up. I'm good to go for sweet corn. ;)
IMG_0253.JPG

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Melon seeds collected 2016 and sown on 22nd February and today is 2nd May

SAM_0034.JPG

Don't know if they are galia, honeydew or Sepno though.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
sown on 22nd February and today is 2nd May
Alp honey, you ARE anxious for spring--skipping most of March and all of April and diving into May. Please tell my how to do that--I'm ready for spring!
I planted last year's lettuce seed early so if it didn't germinate I still have time to replant. Won't be necessary, I think every bloomin' seed came up and now I'll have to thin!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
sown on 22nd February and today is 2nd May
Alp honey, you ARE anxious for spring--skipping most of March and all of April and diving into May. Please tell my how to do that--I'm ready for spring!
I planted last year's lettuce seed early so if it didn't germinate I still have time to replant. Won't be necessary, I think every bloomin' seed came up and now I'll have to thin!

I know. My friend said it was too early for cosmos, even earlier for melons. Funny thing is that they say some very rich people in the past in the UK would try to display their grown melon in May! Would you believe that? I just don't want to miss it again. Last year, I had 2 melon plants left in the lean-to and they flowered and then they fizzled into nothing. I was so upset. I am thinking of getting a box to put them at the hottest spot in my whole garden. When I first moved here, I planted one near the thin stripe (about 3 to 6 inches) of gap between nasties' wall and our brick paving and 2 melons came up. The first one was delicious, juicy and sweet - honeydew! And the tendrils crawled their way towards the west, out to the pavement to the road. I was so embarrassed, trying to rein them in. :eek::shame:

Once these babies are sturdy enough, I would do the same, planted them in the hottest spot again. I am potting another lot up later.

Why don't you put some of the lettuce in a cooler area and stagger their "growth"? Seems such a waste to thin. Once I potted up 300 white petunias grown from collected seeds:kiss::eek:. The seeds spilt from the homemade packet and I used the broom to sweep them and chucked them into a tray and they all came up. I sat there for half a day and potted them all up. What a saga!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Mental aberration: 2nd March! Now I understand what Marlin was saying. My mind darts from one place to another, especially thinking of bidding for a galanthus. Well, lost the chance of having another yellow one.

Thank you for the enlightenment, Upsy! Good friends always! :love:

Ask a Question