Drying Basil

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One of the reasons I started useing the microwave to dry my herbs is because even though Idaho gets cold and snow in the winter our summers in sw Idaho are quite hot we stay in the triple digest (little above/little under) for much of summer and it's just to hot for the oven if you are drying a lot of herbs like I was. I do like your idea of drying in the sun and might try some of that next summer. Our season is ending now but I am already thinking towards next year
I am living in the north east of England so it is supposed to be a little too cold to dry any kind of herb. Take today for example, though, it is very hot and humid, and although we have had a little drizzle of rain, the sky is now completely free of clouds. If I had any herbs that I wanted to dry out I don't think I would use the oven. The sun is always the best so I would put my herbs in a little water to keep them fresh and then lay them out as soon as the sun shone. I would place them in the direct sunlight and keep an eye on them, turning them every five minutes or so. They soon will dry out and sun drying really does help to retain flavour and goodness. I used to buy the plum tomatoes in Egypt as well and would halve them and dry them in the sun too. A great salad idea is home sundried tomatoes and home sundried dill. sprinkle the dill over the tomatoes and place in an empty jar of virgin olive oil. I always thought that it was yummy to add these to my salads.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I am living in the north east of England so it is supposed to be a little too cold to dry any kind of herb. Take today for example, though, it is very hot and humid, and although we have had a little drizzle of rain, the sky is now completely free of clouds. If I had any herbs that I wanted to dry out I don't think I would use the oven. The sun is always the best so I would put my herbs in a little water to keep them fresh and then lay them out as soon as the sun shone. I would place them in the direct sunlight and keep an eye on them, turning them every five minutes or so. They soon will dry out and sun drying really does help to retain flavour and goodness. I used to buy the plum tomatoes in Egypt as well and would halve them and dry them in the sun too. A great salad idea is home sundried tomatoes and home sundried dill. sprinkle the dill over the tomatoes and place in an empty jar of virgin olive oil. I always thought that it was yummy to add these to my salads.

That salad sounds good, I will have to try it. So if I cut my burbs I can put in water to keep fresh until I can dry the. In the sun? Could you be a little more specific, do you put them completely in water, in refrigerator, freezer, counter?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States

I was also wondering (sorry about the two post) we have narrow bottle top v.o.o. is the bottle empty of oil? If it is how do you get the tomatoes and dill out and do you make it up ahead & save or make it at the time fresh? Hope these questions make sense , I would like to try it I have both dried tomatoes and dill.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
When I dry herbs (basil, oregano, sage, etc.) I leave the leaves whole and store them in glass jars. When there is less surface there is less loss of flavor, and crumbled herbs have a lot of surface. I crumble them just before using them, which allows the herbs to release their fragrance and taste when needed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
How long did they take in the oven? I am just curious because I haven't done it before. I am going to try some in the microwave to see how it works, if that fails, I might end up doing them in the oven. It is just one of the ways that I can get the type of options I might need in terms of basil. It is just one of the good things that you can do to preserve your herbs.

I used low heat so it took me roughly 15-20 minutes since I don't want them to cook and looked too brown in color. I have heard others freeze them with water in the ice tray, but I haven't done it since I have no space in my freezer.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have some fresh basil, I don't have a dehydrator. IF I was to dry it the oven, how would I go about it? What would I need to dry it outside? How long would it take? We are currently having kind of a wet and humid week. I don't know that the outside drying would work, although that might be preferable.

I do not dry my herbs, I freeze them in a little bit of water and keep them in the freezer. I just have too much problem with mold and I never use what I grow and always have excess. so I have a couple bags full of herby icecubes, which is great unless the police raid my house..

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Petesede, a few years ago I mailed dried oregano, basil, and Herbes de Provence to a friend in NY. When the post office person asked what was in the box, I foolishly said, "dried herbs." About an hour later, after I had signed several documents and she had been on the phone with the regional supervisor, the package was approved (with a frown) and I paid the postage. Now I just say "plant material" and don't get put on a "watch list"!
I use the freeze method also since it seems to keep the flavor fresher.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Actually to be honest, the herbs seem to have dried naturally in the refrigerator, they look like they are pretty much at the crumble stage now. I think I am going to crumble them, and put them in my spice jars which need some topping up.:) I like to use herbs in cooking. I made a roast chicken last night with herbs a plenty!

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
That salad sounds good, I will have to try it. So if I cut my burbs I can put in water to keep fresh until I can dry the. In the sun? Could you be a little more specific, do you put them completely in water, in refrigerator, freezer, counter?

To keep basil fresh, trim the stems and place them in a glass or jar of water, just like cut flowers. Loosely cover it with a plastic bag and leave it on the counter. Although certain herbs, such as parsley and cilantro, can be stored this way in the fridge, basil does better at room temperature. Refrigeration can turn the leaves black.

No, this won't win any kitchen decor awards, but in my experience the plastic bag really makes a difference. I've had basil stay perky for a week or even longer, especially if I change the water frequently.
http://www.thekitchn.com/the-best-way-to-store-basil-192880
:)

... Now I am in the UK I cannot dry the herbs like that as the sun is not hot enough....
The sun is always the best
I wonder if you could use a piece of glass to magnify the suns rays? Something along the lines of a cold frame? (Or a little kid with a magnifying glass... :eek: )

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Drying herbs, including basil, depends less on heat and more on the lack of humidity. If you hang basil, oregano, sage, etc. in a spot with good air circulation and out of direct light the herbs will dry nicely. I always cringe when I see pictures of herbs hanging over a stove in "designer kitchens". It's cute, but the worst place to dry herbs.
As I think I stated before, herbs dried and kept in the full leaf stage, not crumbled, retain more of their flavor. There is less surface area to lose essential oils and flavors in a whole leaf than in one that has been crumbled or crushed.

Ask a Question