Dollar store seeds and plastic pots

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I was at the dollar store the other day (I had to travel very far to get there) and found some seeds and plastic pots in their little gardening aisle. I opted not to get them because I assumed that since they were a dollar, they were probably cheap. Have any of you tried using dollar store pots or seeds before?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I've purchased seeds at the Dollar Store, and had pretty good germination. I don't buy "valuable" seeds--the ones I really rely on to grow and make a crop, but "optional" seeds like varieties of marigolds, zinnias, that sort of thing. If they don't make I haven't lost anything except the 10 to 29 cents per packet.
Beware of their potting mix, though. The stuff compacts like crazy!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
I use dollar store pots. This is the third year for these clay coloured ones . They hold just over 3 gallons and cost me two bucks each.

I also use some of their small ones. I generally buy "sale brand"stuff. They do the same job as higher priced ones. I'm after utility for my veggies
2006-12-31 23.00.00-8.jpg

Reaction score
I buy seeds from the Dollar Store most years. Most of the seeds come up, and when an occasional pack of seeds fail I simply pick up a packet from a store in town.

Dollar Store seeds are 33 cents a pack out here and the name-brand seeds are $2.25. I save a small fortune on my garden by using Dollar Store seeds.

Some seeds like carrots have to be started early if they are to do well, and I buy name-brand seeds for those. Where I live the carrots have to be well established before the summer heat hits or they will usually die. I cannot spare the time to see if the seeds are going to come up or not, because if the first planting of carrot seeds fail then if I re-plant it will probably already be too late to get a crop.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Zigs, if those onions took third prize, I'd hate to have to move the second and first prize onions without a wheelbarrow!
Terri, we are in the same boat as you--early crops have to be successful--there is no chance for re-planting. We do get a second chance in the fall for cool season crops.
This year has been so very strange that I'm just guessing when to plant what, and hoping for the best!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
The dollar store is one of the places that really kicked my gardening efforts into high gear. I was getting started gardening (3-4 years ago) and my Mom mentioned the dollar store (stores names and type might be different from yours) she went to had seeds for .10 cents a packet. I went over and there were so many different types of seeds I was wow’ed. I wish I could remember all the plants where the dollar store seeds were my first exposure (Globe Amaranth, Balsam, and Cupid’s Darts are just a few). I must have bought 100 packets that first visit. Over the course of the next year or so I planted most of them too, germination rate was pretty good overall. I went on line and looked up the company (I think it was American Seed Company) and some complaints about this and that, but for the overall experience I was quite happy. I think on occasion Walmart’s sells the brand too for .25 cents.

A couple of things to consider, while the price is low the volume of seeds you get is somewhat proportional (low price – lower seed count). This can be ok as not always can you plant all the seeds in a regular packet. A couple of times I even got a packet with no seeds in it. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy and plant dollar store seeds as experimental seeds, planting something just for fun to see how it would turn out, but I would probably use more reputable seed brand – retailer for mission critical stuff, stuff where you want a high degree of confidence things will turn out as desired. The last couple of years the variety of seeds offered here has diminished unfortunately. So just for fun and experimentation, go for them. Mission critical, focused growing, go with name brand.

The pots they have here are a good value. Here you get various size of plastic and a couple of sizes of clay. I still have some from a couple years ago and I’m surprised how well the plastic hold up in general. Be sure to check the bottoms as they can come with holes for drainage or not. If not I just drill some in the bottom.

While I wouldn’t buy my tools there they also have good deals on that green plastic gardeners tape and twist tie material, stakes and other little gardening accessories that come in handy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Good deal, I am going to buy some next time I am at the dollar store. I am always looking for a bargain and you cant beat a dollar, unless they were free pots.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have bought flower seeds and bulbs from the Dollar Stores before. They are still doing well in my garden. The Dollars Stores we have around here don't carry pots or else I would pick them up too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I just got my daughter a couple of starter sets from the dollar store as part of her Easter gift and I am excited to help her plant them next week. She is going to love them because she has taken on an interest in gardening. I think mom is more excited about the left over candy that won't fit into the baskets:p

Ask a Question