Dollar Store Bulbs

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
A few weeks ago (or maybe even a couple months) I bought about 5 different bags of bulbs from the dollar store, mostly gladiolus. I promptly forgot about them until I came across the bag a couple weeks ago. I didn't have high expectations; hurried and stuck them in peat pots and set them outside and within days they started to sprout! I didn't expect results so quickly and now I have to figure out where the plants are going to live.

It's been raining lions and tigers and bears, but as soon as there is a little more light out, I'll try and get a photo.

Reaction score
Awesome! I´ve never had a lot faith in those bulbs they sell at that kind of store, like the ones they sell at the ''action'' stores, I saw them last year but didn't buy them, they were tulips of different colors, but I didn't know if it would be ok to bring it along in my bag (the US has some really strict rules when it comes to that). Might try it once I live in the Netherlands.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thats encouraging I have seen the bulbs but did not want to pick them up not knowing if they were any good. Now I can get few bags to plant in my yard. It is always a 50/50 chance that the plants may not come up even when we spend a lot of money on the bulbs aor seeds.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Got a third prize for the onions I grew from pound shop sets :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Hope you will find a place where they will grow successfully. Good Luck.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
A few years ago I also bought my gladiola bulbs from the Dollar Store, thinking since they were only a dollar I had nothing to lose. To my happy surprise, they grew and gave me wonderful and beautiful blooms. I love it!

Ask a Question