Does anyone here have a winter garden?

Reaction score
Winter is pretty mild here so many of the same plants grown in spring and summer can thrive in winter. Occasionally we may get freezing temperatures and then we just have to cover everything up overnight. That generally doesn't last for more than a few days, thankfully.
Chanell, Good on you.. so what kind of plants you have in winter ? Do you still have your veggies and herbs growing or just the ornamental plants growing in your yard?
Do you plant any veggies in Autumn? Could you name some of those? I wonder if you could have fresh spinach or lettuce all through winter? I am pretty curious.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Maddie I am just getting started with the food plants, though last year I had both types of basil growing year round. I've just planted a piece of potato as an experiment, and I plant to sprout a sweet potato soon as well. Both will live outside once I determine where the best spot is for them. I just don't want to get too carried away since everything I grow is in containers and that means obtaining soil and containers, as well as having the necessary space.

I'm looking into using plastic storage bins as temporary cold frames, so I may start expanding a bit more with the cold weather stuff. I haven't checked my hibiscus since it rained, but it had several buds on it so if they weren't beaten off, it should flower soon.

Right now we are having mild temperatures in the 60s and 70s during the day. Hopefully it won't get much colder until at least January, but it may stay cold well into March, so we never no what to expect. I'm hoping for a very mild winter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Serbia
Since it is the autumn still i will have it. For now it is a project. I have some evergreen hedge that becomes red in winter. A have it in several pots and i made circle in the ground using it. In the middle of the circle we have some red flowers but in winter i will come op with something. The whole thing will grow to look like a big green/red basket. So , maybe i will put some fake fruit inside. Anyway, the rest of the garden is yet to be decide but since the grass will not be visible i think we are going to arrange it in a cristmas spirit. I will share a photo if it is any good.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I have a few winter interest plants, the callicarpia berries hold many months even with the snow on them, and the black beauty lily pods are pretty, the spent astilbies hold up well. My red dogwoods look nice against the winter white snow.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
It can get pretty cold in my area during the winter so what ever I have growing outside needs to be brought inside if I want to keep it. I do have some day lilies that are doing fine out in the front but no vegetables during the winter too harsh.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It does get too cold to have much growing.. but there are the hollies and camellias or hellebores... Do you have a colorful garden even in winter?
I wish I would have a winter garden. Unfortunately it gets too cold in the north east. We have a lot of snow so that alone would kill a lot of plants. I would love to be able to grow an indoor garden. However until that day comes I look forward to the spring when I can plant vegetables and flowers.

Ask a Question