Do you preserve vegetables for the winter?

Reaction score
Shellyann36, what do you do with dehydrated peaches?

I have used dehydrated apples to cook up into applesauce, though it seems a shame to do that with something as delicately flavored as a peach!

Reaction score
Shellyann36, what do you do with dehydrated peaches?

I have used dehydrated apples to cook up into applesauce, though it seems a shame to do that with something as delicately flavored as a peach!

We eat them as snacks. They are very good. It takes alot of peach slices to equal a good snack though. The pineapple is more along the lines for better being dehydrated. You can even buy the cans of pineapple, drain the juice (use this for pineapple jelly) and dehydrate the pineapple tidbits or rings. I do this often and the kids love them. It is a good pick me up snack too!

Reaction score
Canning and dehydrating are my favorite methods of storing my excess garden foods.

I dehydrate all of my herbs for later use and store them using my food saver.

Most of my excess is canned. I take my extra tomatoes and make everything from spaghetti sauce, tomato sauce and stewed tomatoes. Of course I use some of my fresh herbs in these!
All of my extra cucumbers go to a variety of pickles with bread and butter pickles being my favorite! I use my extra onions for those!
I freeze my zucchini after it is cleaned and shredded. I however freeze nothing unless it is in a food saver bag. I use the shredded zucchini for my delicious zucchini bread recipe that I make for the holidays.

Everything that I can put in a mason jar works for me since the food saver bags get really pricey.

There is a recipe or a method for everything! I love to experiment and see what I can store up for later use. There is nothing more satisfying that opening my own home grown labors of love for dinner! Much tastier, healthier and cheaper than store bought too!

Ask a Question