Give away or preserve

Reaction score
Will you be producing enough fruits and vegetables to give to family and neighbors or do you mainly store up for the winter by preserving the excess?
I will mainly be giving away to others. Once my fruiting plants mature to the point of producing enough, I will probably start some method of preserving them but as for the vegetables, I'll be giving away what we don't consume ourselves.

Reaction score
Don't forget about having emergency food supplies for yourself and your family. I wouldn't start giving all of the excess food away until a good reserve is in place. There are a lot ways to store vegetables while minimizing any loss of their nutritional value (dehydrating, freezing, canning, etc.).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
We don't give away our fruits and vegetables. My mother stores them up for winter. She makes pickles, jams and syrups. Excess zucchinis and pumpkins will be frozen, apples will be dehydrated. I can't wait, I love apple chips!:D

Reaction score
As I always land up having a quite a large surplus of fruit and vegetables - so much so - that even after eating an abundance of fresh fruit and vegetables throughout the growing season and bottling, freezing and drying everything that I have space for - there are always plenty left over - so rather than let them go to waste - I generally give what I don't need away to those that are not as fortunate as me and would otherwise have to buy their own fruit and vegetables - as well to one of the local restaurants - who likes the novelty value of some of my more unusual fruits and vegetables and who in return gives me free meals every now again :)

Reaction score
Well I have been taking my cucumbers and slicing them up to become pickled. That way I can have sandwiches all winter long and not have to worry about going to the store to get pickled chips to go on my sandwiches.

Reaction score
I tend to do both and then again it's all down to much time i have on my hands as there instance where i've got no time to make preserves.

Ask a Question