How can I keep the ants away?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Im planting some carrots in a flower bed this year, but there is a lot of black ants in the area. I live in a trailer, and the ants live under it, so theres no easy way to destroy the nests. What are some methods you folks use to keep the ants away and out of your gardens?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Do ants do any harm in the garden? I know they eat aphids, so the might actually be beneficial. Maybe a perimeter of borax around (but not right next to) the carrots.

I lost all my carrots last year because rabbits got them! They didn't seem to go after anything other than the carrots.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I haven't planted anything previously, I moved here a couple years ago, and it was too late in the year to plant anything outside last year. I believe the ants will be a problem, because of the sheer quantity. There's probably thousands of the buggers, and they were crawling all over the flower bed last year, so I assume they'll do the same this year. I'll look into trying Borax, thanks.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
They can damage plants by moving soil away from the roots, been told they don't like coffee grounds.

Every year they build a mound up to the metal lock on my caravan tow hitch, it's in the sun and they use it for central heating :rolleyes:

Ask a Question