Do you leave enough space in your garden for furniture?

Reaction score
Well that's the thing isn't it, frugality is all well and good but for some things you get what you pay for. The metal chairs I have are clearly substandard but the prices on better stuff starts getting real steep real quick.

I'll have to trawl Craigslist and the like and just give up on these.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
garage sales are your friend...

Our set retails for over $700.. my father in law picked it up for $50 at a garage sale

Reaction score
My parents had a container garden on the deck of their cabin. As more containers were added, the furniture slowly got squeezed out. Last summer we needed to make some repairs to reinforce it as it was old and starting to wobble a bit. We had the thought of enlarging the balcony as well. By the time we removed all the containers (a truly ugly job), we found that the deck was more than large enough. The refurbished deck now is stronger, looks better with a new railing system, and is forbidden to become a garden as there is a lot of space in the yard for those plants.

It is nice to be able to use the nice patio furniture once again.

Reaction score
garage sales are your friend...

Our set retails for over $700.. my father in law picked it up for $50 at a garage sale

Nice!

Although I love thrift and bargain shopping I hadn't really thought of checking garage sales, for some reason. Now that the weather is getting better that might be a plan though, thanks for the suggestion.

Reaction score
Estate sales and auctions are also great places to look! As for the cleaning, I use the cheap vinyl tablecloths to cover mine and one of those garden nicknacks from the dollar store to hold it all down. Most of the time I am already dirty from messing around in the garden or cleaning house, so it doesn't really matter. I just hate wet seats and spiders!

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Our yard is large enough to have a a cookout with a load of chairs and people in the yard. We usually sit on the deck because the bugs in the ground will eat your legs up. It would be nice to put a blanket down but the bugs would take the pleasure out of it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in my parents' house. My part of their garden is rather small. I don't have any furniture there. When I want to spend some time in the nature, I lie on a blanket, it's pretty comfortable:)
In my dream garden, I'll have a metal table, a few chairs and a swing:love:
I think that it is always important to have some furniture in your garden. Being able to make a sanctuary when you can really is 100% key to the perfect garden. Nature is beautiful, so everyone should be allowed to enjoy it in a relaxed comfortable environment of their own creation.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I really agree with you CountryQueen. It is important to be able to "sit and smell the roses" in your garden. I have several spots and they double as rest areas when I need a to take a breather whilst working in the garden.
I have my deck which really is another room to me, I sit there rain, hail or shine (not really hail but not far from it). It has a 2 seater and 2 arm chairs, a coffee table, cushions and a blanket and a fan for summer. In the garden I have a swing which is very relaxing and gives me one vista but way too hot in the heat of Summer. I then retire to a wooden bench seat with 2 little tables on either side near my woodlands area and is a bit cooler. We have a stone table and wrought iron chairs for outdoor meals, and a little purple setting in the furthest part of the garden but I do move it around chasing the sun, another little black setting on the other end of the verandah and of course my wooden seat at my garden shed. I could play musical chairs if the garden didn't keep me so busy.:LOL:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I think that it is always important to have some furniture in your garden. Being able to make a sanctuary when you can really is 100% key to the perfect garden. Nature is beautiful, so everyone should be allowed to enjoy it in a relaxed comfortable environment of their own creation.
Hello, Andy Morley!:)
Garden furniture can be really pretty and comfortable. However, I prefer an old, soft blanket over chairs and tables. For me, there is nothing better than lying on the grass and looking at clouds:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Our backyard garden is very small - just about 30 square meters so there is not much space left considering that we have a mango tree and several banana plants. When there is something to plant like a seed or a seedling or sapling, we use the soft plastic bag instead of the plastic pot. That plastic bag is designed for seedlings that is easy to transport and also easy to take off from the seedling.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Here is where I sit. Inside there is a couch, a table with 4 chairs and a chaise lounge. Some candles hanging from the rafters also. We call this area our back valley, it is about 100 paces from the house. Other garden areas are way before this and many of course around the house.
Gazebo.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Here is where I sit. Inside there is a couch, a table with 4 chairs and a chaise lounge. Some candles hanging from the rafters also. We call this area our back valley, it is about 100 paces from the house. Other garden areas are way before this and many of course around the house. View attachment 7991

How very inviting Esther. I'm sure you spend as much time as possible in your back valley.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
regarding the sitting and smelling the roses above. I purposely plant shrubs and plants with fragrance on the side that the wind will carry them when I sit on the deck or in the gazebo.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Here is where I sit. Inside there is a couch, a table with 4 chairs and a chaise lounge. Some candles hanging from the rafters also. We call this area our back valley, it is about 100 paces from the house. Other garden areas are way before this and many of course around the house. View attachment 7991
It's such a lovely place, I like everything about it. It must be very relaxing to sit there and smell all those fragrant plants. I love your cats!:)

Ask a Question