Do you have pets? Anyone else have a guinea pig?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Becky, as a ex-Schnauzer servant, I can tell you they are high-energy dogs. Ours was a miniature, who thought he was a Great Dane on steroids. The grooming is another story--beard or not, close clip or curly--I've spent less time talking to MY hairdresser about styles!
About training--be ready to negotiate. Schnauzers have definite ideas of what they want to do, and you have to give and take (generally you give and they take).
Great dogs, funny, warm, friendly, and always ready for a game.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Becky, as a ex-Schnauzer servant, I can tell you they are high-energy dogs. Ours was a miniature, who thought he was a Great Dane on steroids. The grooming is another story--beard or not, close clip or curly--I've spent less time talking to MY hairdresser about styles!
About training--be ready to negotiate. Schnauzers have definite ideas of what they want to do, and you have to give and take (generally you give and they take).

Thanks for the info @marlingardener, much appreciated! (y) I lol'd at 'Great Dane on steroids'!! :LOL:

I'm ok with high energy - I have to keep very active to help my back, so it would be nice to have some company on my daily walks. My other preferred breed would be a Border Terrier - I've heard good things about them and they're a good size for me. We've got a while to think on it and research the whole topic, so time will tell I guess!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia

How cute...a miniature Great Dane/Schauazer on steroids with personalized hair dresser!:ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
It would have to be either the miniature or the medium, because I have chronic back problems - I'd want a dog that I could lift if needed, and one that wouldn't break my spine if it pulled on the lead for some reason (obviously I'd want to train it not to pull, but you never know what is suddenly going to grab their attention!). My neighbour has just got two black toy poodles and I've just been over for some puppy therapy :)
Hi Becky. Good luck with your final choice of puppy. I had a little puppy therapy a few months ago. My neighbor was "miniature black poodle puppy" sitting over night and brought her in to show us. Unbelieeeeevably cute:love:. Max, the 11year old big hairy border collie didn't think so though. :confused:We were all fussing over the puppy Of course and he actually snapped at her. As my daughter in law said Max was saying "I can't compete with that!" :eek:She has an incredibly cute name too but it slips my mind. Apparently she has a little tutu as well.:rolleyes:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Becky, I adore Border terriers! I knew a couple very well when I was active in agility. They are such natural little dogs...I've met many Schnauzers too, but would take the BT over any of them. Then I prefer dogs that need little coat maintenance, so I am biased that way.
My adult dogs are extremely tolerant of Booker but won't play with him yet. So I don't have any cute cuddly photos of them together but wanted to get some for size comparison. He may well grow to well over 200 lbs. Fiona the JRTx is about 28 lbs, and Deefer the Lab about 70 lbs. At yesterday's vet visit for his second round of vaccinations Booker was a very solid 26.2 lbs.
booker & deefer.jpg
booker & Fiona.jpg
26.2 lbs.

Reaction score
I love Schnauzers, they seem like such lovely dogs! We're thinking about getting a dog next year, and I would definitely consider a Schnauzer. I'm glad to hear your pets are helping you feel better :)
It would have to be either the miniature or the medium, because I have chronic back problems - I'd want a dog that I could lift if needed, and one that wouldn't break my spine if it pulled on the lead for some reason (obviously I'd want to train it not to pull, but you never know what is suddenly going to grab their attention!). My neighbour has just got two black toy poodles and I've just been over for some puppy therapy :)

Then I think the miniature one would be perfect, but take your time :) I think they make great dogs, they are highly intelligent (my experience with medium sized schnauzers). My medium schnauzer learnt she shouldn't do her business in the room where she slept from day one :eek: Smartest dog I have ever have, no kidding. Sometimes I felt like I am sharing my room with another person, because she is so smart! Those dogs are amazing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Here's some Sunday doggie pics.
All three at the river last Friday, and Booker the English mastiff puppy on Monday. He gained 8 lbs in 11 days :eek: and as you can see from the photos I am making sure he stays quite lean while growing, for optimum joint health and development. He just turned 11 weeks old and excelled at his first obedience class yesterday. :)

booker not sure.jpg
booker tilt.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I raised a great dane puppy once. and yes, Beth a large dog puppy needs so many "right" nutrients as he grows so fast and he needs the good stuff for his bones to stay strong. And I recall they should not jump anything until they are almost a year. My dane lived until 9 years old, he was 165 lbs and 37inches to the shoulder, a sweet heart he was. Your mastiff has the cutest face. Glad he is going to class, so good to develop social skills and obedience. I trained my big guy to sit at the threshold of the dinning room so he would (when grown) not level his head to the dinning room table ever. And he never saw that food could come off the kitchen counter. When I stood straight his head was at my boob level. His worse problem was fireworks, had to get doggie downers in him 3 hours ahead of 4th of July celebrations or I'd have a huge dog thinking he could hid between my legs. I also recall rarely bathing him, just couple times weekly brushing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yes indeed, your Dane sounds lovely, do you have any photos of him you can share?
Booker is SO clumsy...I have three steps off the deck and he's hesitant about going down so I lift him; he goes up them just fine. On Monday (after that photo was taken) he was going up, somehow got his feet tangled up and twisted one a bit. He was crying and favoring it so being a helicopter mom I took him to the vet. By the time we got there he was absolutely fine, the little drama queen! But by that evening a friend's husband built him a ramp over the stairs, with railings, so I don't have to worry (or spend money on unnecessary vet visits!)

I'm a believer in "at least one novel experience per day" for puppies. Can be a new place, person, flooring, command, noise, whatever. Just lots of exposure to different things; I believe it builds a lot of confidence and calmness, which is especially important for big dogs! I've had Rottweilers for 30 years so always did my best to make sure they were well-behaved and polite. And since Booker is surely going to outweigh me eventually - I'm not that large - he'd better be well-trained!

Today's novel experience will be paddling about on the river with a couple of friends on our little boats, this afternoon. And maybe visiting a client's house.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Beth, you sound like your a great mom and a responsible owner. And you know that a dog learns from the doing and the experience, and is black and white. Have to always keep a smart dog on the straight line, or they invent things for themselves. After my Dane. I went to GSD's had two of them so far. Both got obedience titles. Both could be taken anywhere in the world and be social and well behaved. (Had them singularly) We went to garden shops, gift shops, hardware stores, post offices outside restaurants, bed and breakfastes, hotels etc. I recall going up an elevator with one of them once, he was sitting so quite perfect next to me.(130 lbs) People coming on the elevator. Someone looked down and said, Oh a dog, My boy--Thompson--just sat still.

I used to do, a lot of positive rewards for not doing anything---if my GSD was just laying there quietly as I passed him, I'd reach down and say, "Good boy" --me thinking--he would think, hey, I am just laying here and I get praised, hey I can do this.

As far as finding a pic of my dane, it will do some digging, as I lost him about 30 years ago. Do have to brag he was the son of a world champion dane, his father Reno was number one in Canada, USA and Europe. Out of the Great Dane Show in 1979 , 400 danes, Reno was number one. His mother Leah, was a sweet beautiful girl.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Three happy dogs Beth having a dip and Booker really is very sweet I'm sure. You're obviously putting in a lot of work whilst he's young so you have a wonderful pet for life. We've always had dogs and not done formal training but I can see the value of it. In fact we've had 3 dogs in this house we've lived in for 30 years and not had fences so they've roamed. Easy going dogs and we didn't have any problems then but I do realize it wasn't responsible and i know things have changed and it is important to have them enclosed. So much so that my son and daughter in law are going to be away for a month soon ( going to Malaysia to stay with her family) and we are fencing off an area for their and now our lovely dog Max. Gate went up today so my bit is the painting. Otherwise we tie him up every time we go out. I did mention that he chewed my car when tied up under the carport! He is lovely but that wasn't lovely!:confused::) Both you and Esther are obviously like minded and very responsible and caring pet owners.(y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
have to say DeborahJane. tie up outside is not good. too many dogs getting stolen these days. If you can get a crate for him, and keep him inside when your gone. Also, dogs getting stolen out of fenced in yards too. Both my boys were always inside when we are gone. Get him some safe chew toys to keep him amused. one of the best chewing is a Nyla bone, found in pet stores, it last forever, even with a great dane and a GSD, takes months to get one worn down.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Thanks Esther. I'll check out our local pet supplies store tomorrow for the Nyla bone. Max is an 11 year old border collie and is very well behaved but this chewing thing is a bit of a weakness. We will have to take good care of him when my son is away as he will miss them both and will most likely fret. I'll make sure I buy bones each week for him. I'm afraid I really would be too nervous to leave him inside. He chewed a door here at night when he heard the possums outside.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Deborahjane, You only need to buy that particular bone, once every 4 months, if that. It helps with teeth health to, by building fibers on the edges by chewing, it brushes the teeth. Love Border Collies, so smart, and full of energy. At 11 years he should simmer a little. I would rather you tie him inside near a water bowl than outside. When my boys were young, they were tied to the foot bed post, when we slept. And during the day in a crate. He may also do well with have a pair of smelly blue jeans to be near. They do things out of sear boredom that breed, because they are so smart.
Most dogs will do their damage in the first 20 mins of you leaving them alone, after which they fall asleep.
Please stay away from any raw hide bones as they are chemically treated with crap that will cause vomiting and diarrhea.
When ever I got a "new nyla bone" for them, they would not take to it right out of the package, had to do a "yumm, yumm noise with it, near my mouth as if I was eating it, and it was so good. Then grab it up right away they did.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Thanks Esther. I'll check out our local pet supplies store tomorrow for the Nyla bone. Max is an 11 year old border collie and is very well behaved but this chewing thing is a bit of a weakness. We will have to take good care of him when my son is away as he will miss them both and will most likely fret. I'll make sure I buy bones each week for him. I'm afraid I really would be too nervous to leave him inside. He chewed a door here at night when he heard the possums outside.
Get your son to leave a smelly blue jean for the dog to lay on. it should help.

Ask a Question