Do you have pets? Anyone else have a guinea pig?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to upload a photo of my visitors again but for some reason they are coming in upside down. Would anyone have a clue why it has changed? I am doing it exactly the same way as I did before and they came in the right way up.

See. How frustrating!:confused:

Lovely photo @Esther Knapicius!

The issues with posting the photo and it showing upside down is something we have seen in the past where people share photos from their iPad. We're not entirely sure why it happens to be honest, but it's something that the forum software developers would need to look at. If it is a continuing problem then we'll look into reporting it to them, and hopefully it can be fixed. For now, Ian has edited the photo for you so that it is showing the right way up :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Love the sight of a sleeping cat, Esther. Phantom looks very cosy.
At 5.30 this morning I went to tidy up the cushions on the lounge and felt a very furry cat. This is one of the three grey cats on the grey leather lounge with the grey patterned cushions, red ones for contrast as well. Pity there's no red cats!:LOL:re
My sons two are rescue cats and really have the nicest natures. At dinner time they purr and rub against your legs whilst Pearl sits there hissing at the other cats and even swipes out at them at times. I do explain that she gets cranky when she's hungry. According to my son also when she's tired or when it's raining or........!:sick: She does seem to be settling, even purrs when she sees them at times but it has taken a year.:LOL:
Re the shire restrictions here on cats, the next shire has actually brought in a law which says all cats have to be enclosed at all times. That would really limit people having a cat as a pet as a decent sized enclosure is costly and not the most appealing. I love to watch them playing and frolicking outside. Pearl wanders around the garden with me, runs full pelt past and up a tree. I love it, always makes me smile. It is a law meant to safeguard the wild life but so hard for us cat lovers. It doesn't seem to apply to farm areas Beth. And it's also pretty impossible to enforce, for the shire and cat owners.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I've just looked up the life expectancy of the King Parrots which I feed quite often and that is 20-30 years. As I have explained I can't leave seed out as the cockatoos come and eat my house!:confused: As much as I like the Cockies I like my house enact! So I wait for the King Parrots and the Rosellas to visit and ask ever so politely for morning tea or afternoon tea.:)
I am glad you'll have Red for a long time. Pets become members of the family, don't they?
I'm going to upload a photo of my visitors again but for some reason they are coming in upside down. Would anyone have a clue why it has changed? I am doing it exactly the same way as I did before and they came in the right way up.

View attachment 8153

See. How frustrating!:confused:

edit (Ian): I've fixed the image for you :)
Thanks Ian. Would it be possible to fix the one posted on Monday at 11.56 too please, poor Max is sleeping up side down. I haven't tried again in case the same thing happens. The ones were from existing photos but as I said I've done it before and it has worked. Maybe it will just change back again, fingers crossed but I will try uploading a photo I take at the time of the post. Thanks again.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Lovely photo @Esther Knapicius!

The issues with posting the photo and it showing upside down is something we have seen in the past where people share photos from their iPad. We're not entirely sure why it happens to be honest, but it's something that the forum software developers would need to look at. If it is a continuing problem then we'll look into reporting it to them, and hopefully it can be fixed. For now, Ian has edited the photo for you so that it is showing the right way up :)
Thanks for the explanation Becky. I am hoping it will all be better:whistle: when I try again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Esther, your Phantom does look like a larger version of my black and white Stanley! He looks blissfully peaceful in that chair. :) Stanley is getting neutered and vaccinated tomorrow morning. Poor little dude. He and Booker the humungous puppy are already bonded. Booker ambles up to him, Stanley lies on his back, and the puppy puts his paw over Stanley and his whole head in his mouth. :eek: Which is alarming, but Stanley doesn't protest and besides his fur getting a bit crusty from English mastiff puppy spit is unharmed. I figure he will let Booker know in no uncertain terms if it gets uncomfortable but he appears to like it. They'll lay in this sort of weird embrace for minutes at a time.

The tortie is Widget and the little grey stripe is alternately Chunk, Chunky Monkey or Chunklet. Collectively, if I holler "kittens!" they come running.

Booker's new nickname is The Puppy of Most Supreme Awesomeness. :D He already knows sit, take it, touch, out, crate up, outside, in the house. Of course whether he does what told is a different matter LOL. I also joined a mastiff forum and a common theme is "STUBBORN." Which he is. Although he does lots better when hot dog bits are involved. Only two accidents in the house so far; both completely my fault.
Next round of vaccinations on Friday and shortly thereafter he can start getting out more and go to puppy obedience class.

Oh, and his drinking habits are a bit worrisome. :LOL: The main dog-water dish (for three dogs) is a great big thing, in the kitchen. He pounces on it, plants both front feet IN the dish, drinks, and then sort of falls backwards out of it onto the kitchen floor, getting water everywhere. Can't wait until he starts the infamous mastiff drooling. o_O

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Hi Beth. What are you telling The Puppy of Most Extreme Awesomeness to do when he has to crate up? o_OI'm trying to work it out but no idea what it could mean. Would love to see him having drink!:ROFLMAO: Don't think I'd love cleaning up every time though! Sounds like bath time almost.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Beth. What are you telling The Puppy of Most Extreme Awesomeness to do when he has to crate up? o_OI'm trying to work it out but no idea what it could mean. Would love to see him having drink!:ROFLMAO: Don't think I'd love cleaning up every time though! Sounds like bath time almost.

I'm an old dog training lady and used to compete so the crate was the ultimate safe and comfy place for travelling or shows. :p

Crate up means, go get in your crate. Which I only use when I'm sleeping, or briefly otherwise, because I believe the ability to be comfortable in a crate is a valuable skill for a dog but I hate to see crates over-used... So with a baby puppy, he goes in his crate for meals or for treats or toys or anything happy, and they quickly associate the crate as a happy and safe place. It really helps with house-training too as long as the puppy-owner is responsive about letting the puppy out to go potty when it needs to.

He hasn't been here a week yet but mostly he chooses to go nap in his crate, with the door open as long as someone is around. When I fill up his food dish and say "crate up" he runs right into the bedroom, where the crate is. Does the same thing for my puppy-sitter friends. It is his Happy Place.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Thanks for explaining Beth. Sounds like good training. I should have tried that with Pearl and my first British Blue Lola with their carry cage to go to the vet. Lola used to run a mile and so does Pearl. Guess it's not a happy place though as going to the vet usually means injections and all sorts of indignaties.

Reaction score
I have both a dog and a cat :) The cat is named Bob, he looks like a miniature black panther, while my dog is all grey and he is a schnauzer. They're are both the light of my life, to be honest I have no idea what my life would be like without them, having a furry friend to pet is so important, specially when you are undergoing experiences and treatments like the ones I am undergoing now. They help you to calm down, they really do! They are much better than any anti depressant or anxiety medication.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I have both a dog and a cat :) The cat is named Bob, he looks like a miniature black panther, while my dog is all grey and he is a schnauzer. They're are both the light of my life, to be honest I have no idea what my life would be like without them, having a furry friend to pet is so important, specially when you are undergoing experiences and treatments like the ones I am undergoing now. They help you to calm down, they really do! They are much better than any anti depressant or anxiety medication.

I love Schnauzers, they seem like such lovely dogs! We're thinking about getting a dog next year, and I would definitely consider a Schnauzer. I'm glad to hear your pets are helping you feel better :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Sorry you're going through such a rough time Trellum. So glad you have your pets to see you through. They really do make a house a home:love:.

Reaction score
Sorry you're going through such a rough time Trellum. So glad you have your pets to see you through. They really do make a house a home:love:.

Thank you, they really do :) Sometimes it feels as they can really sense that kind of things, and can surely sense when you are feeling a bit under the weather as well :love: then they do something funny or silly to make you feel better or just act more lovingly and sweet :X3:

I love Schnauzers, they seem like such lovely dogs! We're thinking about getting a dog next year, and I would definitely consider a Schnauzer. I'm glad to hear your pets are helping you feel better :)

Thank you :) What size schnauzer would you like to get? the miniature, the medium or the giant? They're lovely dogs, but let me tell you medium ones are much easier to train, so if you want a dog that is easy to train pick the medium one, they are not so big (y)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Not the greatest photo, but here's all three. The grey one is from a different litter, about a month younger. There are at least two feral mothers that I will hopefully trap and get spayed at the end of next week.

Just too cute for words - so much so that they seeing them instantly has me want to hug them - although I have to say that they are always especially cute at this stage - as they're so playful and inquisitive - as well as comical - especially as they seem to have a very short attention span - just like little Widget there who appears to be toying with the idea of playing with Chunk's tail but has now been distracted and is now wondering whether she would rather join in with what Chunk is doing - unlike when they get older or rather once they hit the 1 year mark - although not all do - who appear to do nothing but sleep for the entire day and only get mischievous when they wake at night :D

Having done that myself many. many times - I know its not an easy task and especially if they are truly feral - so good luck and hope you manage to catch your two feral mom's and get them done :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you :) What size schnauzer would you like to get? the miniature, the medium or the giant? They're lovely dogs, but let me tell you medium ones are much easier to train, so if you want a dog that is easy to train pick the medium one, they are not so big (y)

It would have to be either the miniature or the medium, because I have chronic back problems - I'd want a dog that I could lift if needed, and one that wouldn't break my spine if it pulled on the lead for some reason (obviously I'd want to train it not to pull, but you never know what is suddenly going to grab their attention!). My neighbour has just got two black toy poodles and I've just been over for some puppy therapy :)

Ask a Question