Do you have a green thumb?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
This topic would have made a great poll.
Green Thumb-Yes.
I had a young lemon tree years ago that was 99% ring barked by nibbling critters.:eek: I dug it up and put it into our hot house.
My wife thought it carked it and bought another one to plant next to it. I kept reminding her, where there's life there's hope and refused to believe it's demise until it showed signs on being so.
The replacement lemon tree died and my saved tree produces fruit. So I guess I have a green thumb.:)

I had a similar experience with a fig tree which planted itself in our garden, presumably from a seed dropped by a bird. It lived in our garden for several years quite happily but never produced any fruit. Eventually my mother decided it was just wasting space and asked our garden service to dig it up.

This was about the time I was first getting seriously involved with bonsai and I refused to let that tree die. I cut off almost all the roots before planting it in a large pot. It quickly adapted to its new home and went on as before. Now, several years later, it has produced its first two fruit and I'm anxiously waiting for them to ripen.

At the time my mother bought a tiny fig tree which had a couple of figs on it. The first year the birds got them. The second year we tried to avoid this by picking them before they were ripe and they never ripened. While producing fruit, the tree never got any bigger and the third year it died.

Reaction score
I don't have a green thumb when it comes to growing plants from seeds, but I seem to be quite successful propagating plants in other ways! I'm specially successful with potted plants, but I've never tried to have a real garden. I might when I move to the Netherlands tho, but I'm not worried at all, because my future father-in-law will surely help me with that. We might get a pond too :)

Reaction score
more of a creative thumb i guess, that i sometimes turn towards plants and planting. i get enough postive results to keep trying.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I only grow plants that are easy for my temperate climate and house conditions. Makes me look like I know what I am doing...great way to fake a green thumb.

Reaction score
I agree with yellowbird that one's green thumb gets greener with practice, I know mine has. I started with houseplants that were bedraggled and nearly dead and once they revived and thrived I moved on to other plants. A lot of it is experience and knowledge; knowing what each plants requirements are is a big part of being successful when growing things.

Reaction score
With enough research and effort, anybody can grow plants of some sort or another.

There's no doubt about it that some people seem to have a natural knack for it, though....or just really, really good luck consistently, hehe.

So where do you fall? Do you struggle with your garden constantly or do you have a green thumb?

I'm getting handier with growing potatoes, onions, courgettes and cucumbers. I can't for the life of me grow garlic or any kind of sweet peppers or chilli's. I have tried since I started gardening and will continue to do so until I get some success.

Reaction score
With enough research and effort, anybody can grow plants of some sort or another.

There's no doubt about it that some people seem to have a natural knack for it, though....or just really, really good luck consistently, hehe.

So where do you fall? Do you struggle with your garden constantly or do you have a green thumb?
I've thought about this and honestly I don't have a green thumb. :( I like to think I do though. :) I think I tend to buy plants that are extremely hardy... ones that really don't have much of a chance of actually dying. That's where my "green thumb" comes in. ;0 I love gardening though. There is something to be said about the pride you feel when you step back and look at what you have created.

Gardening is good for the soul. :)

Danyel :)

Reaction score
Yeah, I developed one when I was very young and my mom bought me my first strawberry plant. I was hooked when it started to branch out and grow. Now I can't get enough of growing plants and just watching them grow. It is also an excuse I use to get away from the Woman, she can have her time and I can have my time with my plants.

Reaction score
I must have a very green thumb, because I have a very bountiful garden with minimal effort. That, or I just choose very strong plants!

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I used to love planting as a kid. My mom loves to garden, she's a florist. She taught me how to plant and fortunately, they grew. I If that mean having a green thumb then maybe I do. Though growing up, I enjoy pets more. I respect plants and trees though and would get annoyed when I see someone pick flower's petals for no reason at all, they would reason out "It's just petals", it really gets to my nerves and would answer back even plants have spirits too so I guess I still love plants. They are no doubt a very big help to our surroundings.

Reaction score
I don't particularly think I struggle with it. I just happen to know when to start gardening.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I wouldn't say a green thumb but I can grow plants decently. I brought a dying fern plant back to life. It was losing soil so I transplanted it, now it's doing great! I also sprouted three basil plants that are growing like crazy now. So I guess you could say I have a green thumb.

Reaction score
When I'm relaxed and not in a hurry or stressed out, my plants do well. When I'm stressed out and preoccupied, I sometimes neglect to water my plants until I notice that they look sick. One week I was worried about my daughter because she was sick and 2 of my plants died because I was completely focused on my kid.
Container plants are all I can have in an apartment, yet they are the most vulnerable if not watered.

Ask a Question