Do you have a green thumb?

Reaction score
With enough research and effort, anybody can grow plants of some sort or another.

There's no doubt about it that some people seem to have a natural knack for it, though....or just really, really good luck consistently, hehe.

So where do you fall? Do you struggle with your garden constantly or do you have a green thumb?

Jed

Reaction score
This topic would have made a great poll.
Green Thumb-Yes.
I had a young lemon tree years ago that was 99% ring barked by nibbling critters.:eek: I dug it up and put it into our hot house.
My wife thought it carked it and bought another one to plant next to it. I kept reminding her, where there's life there's hope and refused to believe it's demise until it showed signs on being so.
The replacement lemon tree died and my saved tree produces fruit. So I guess I have a green thumb.:)

Reaction score
Good job on saving the tree. Funny how that works huh? Did you plant the saved lemon tree back in the same spot?

I'm more of a brown thumb but I enjoy it so much that I'll have to turn this around before I make all the beds brown.

Reaction score
I definitely have a green thumb. I can grow most anything that likes rich soil. I have worked very hard at having the perfect soil for my plants. I was taught to dig my dirt and then re-dig, to add my own composted material several times a year, and to amend the nutrients with ash and manure as needed. I was also taught that my soil should be loose enough that I could put my fist in it rather easily. Keeping the soil like this is a lot of hard work, but the plants look terrific. Now, if I could only stop growing those weeds.

Reaction score
I definitely have a green thumb. I can grow most anything that likes rich soil. I have worked very hard at having the perfect soil for my plants. I was taught to dig my dirt and then re-dig, to add my own composted material several times a year, and to amend the nutrients with ash and manure as needed. I was also taught that my soil should be loose enough that I could put my fist in it rather easily. Keeping the soil like this is a lot of hard work, but the plants look terrific. Now, if I could only stop growing those weeds.
Pictures please (if you wouldn't mind) !! What kinds of plants do you have/grow? The way that you are talking has me so inspired, makes me want to go and plant something right now!:) I like the part about how you put your own composted material in several times a year; a green thumb and "green" to boot.

Reaction score
I think that, yes, I have a green thumb. I don't plant a lot of things, but what I do plant tends to grow. People have told me that I have a way with plants and grass. I learned from my mom, not specifically how to garden, but just that growing things is possible. When I was growing up, my mom had a huge garden where she grew a lot of our food.
I was too young to really appreciate how fabulous her gardening skills were, but because I grew up around gardens, I think I approach the process of growing things with a natural kind of ease. I think that feeling of ease about things is what makes me have a green thumb.

My mom also grew flowers and fruit trees all around, such abundance. With me seeing flowers growing rampantly, and vegetables growing all over the place, I just figure within myself, "Hey, if my mom did it, I can grow stuff too," and I just have at it. Everything may not come out perfectly, but I kind of take it in stride.

Reaction score
When people see my plants the first thing most will say is, "you have a green thumb." My reply is always, "there's no such thing as a green thumb." The reason I say that is because, over 20 years ago, when I first tried my hand at a couple of plants, they would quickly wilt and die. I was just about to give up when an ex-co-worker cut me a small piece of her philodendron, placed it in a small plastic cup and sat it on my desk. When the cutting took root, she potted it for me. Over the next few years the plant grew all over my desk. After the third year or so, the plant outgrew my desk, I took it home in a large garbage bag. It took me a couple hours to tediously place the vines on my wall at home with white thread and clear scotch tape. Once the vines begin to grow and grab the wall on its own, I no longer needed the thread and tape. That plant grew all over my tiny, one bedroom efficiency apartment in San Leandro, CA. When I moved to Atlanta because of a job transfer, that's when I parted ways with the plant. Needless to say, that was the beginning of my affinity for plants.

You don't need a green thumb because this adage is applicable to indoor and outdoor gardening, "if at first you don't succeed, try, try, again" (or something like that). Trial and error, is the order of the day, especially with house plants (which are my greatest love). Once you get a feel for what a plant's likes and dislikes are, it's relatively easy to take care of it ..

Reaction score
I have love for plants and they do well with me. I always have trouble with plants that are not grown locally.However, I never give up. I keep trying until I learn to understand and appreciate the needs of my plant. Most of the time I am lucky with plants.

Reaction score
Growing local plants is one aspect of having a green thumb, you need to know your USDA zone and what will work within those conditions. I live in Canada zone 3, so I have a small window of opportunity that I need to take advantage of, starting before spring sets in. Another aspect is soil - your garden will only be as good as the dirt its set in.

Reaction score
I do have a green thumb in away. I love planting flowers, vegetables, and plants, but my problem is forgetting to water them regularly. It seems like I remember to water them when there about to die. If I could remember to water them daily I am sure I would have some big and beautiful flowers and plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I'm very proud to say that I have a green thumb:D . My roses are healthy and they grow beautifully, they bloom often. I just love taking care of plants and working in the garden. It's so relaxing, it's one of my favourite things to do.

Reaction score
My mom had a very green thumb and instilled the love of gardening in me. Maybe it is that I enjoy it and have such a positive connection, but there is nothing I can't seem to grow. Friends bring me plants for "rehabilitation" and I consider it a gift. I save a little near dead English primrose I bought from the bargain shelf. Here's the picture after a few weeks.
2Crop primrose.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Justusforus, your English Primrose is beautiful, it looks very healthy. You definitely have a very green thumb!:D
I love rescuing weak plants too. Whenever I manage to help one, I always feel very proud, almost like I performed a miracle:D

Reaction score
Yes from my side.Anybody how loves and cares for their plants have a green thumb :)

Reaction score
I don't know if I really have a green thumb. I want to believe I have. So far all my plants are doing okay. They starting to bloom beautifully. I just recently started planting, since I moved to a new place with a better backyard. I just hope it continue to bloom.

Ask a Question