Do you grow any vegetables in the winter?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
We have no winter but I can relate to that season with our rainy season. During summer we can plant almost anything, from crops to simple vegetables like gourd. But during the rainy season like now, we refrain from planting vegetables because too much rain would ruin them. Like the Chinese lettuce called pechay, they easily die when they remain too wet for a long period.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Don't usually grow anything in the winter as its so cold! :) But I like the idea of trying spinach as I really do like spinach, goes with so many dishes, so might give that a go this year! ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I was in a garden center and they winter crop seedlings. I grabbed 8 spinach plants and 4 broccoli. Now I should have spinach sooner as I do not wait for my seeds to sprout.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
Sadly I don't - at least not right now. Spring and summer are my prime growing months, and I haven't really explored what to grow in the colder months. I know there's quite a number of vegetables that would grow well here in winter, but it's more a question of whether it's easier for me to grow those veggies myself or just purchase them from a store.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Winter here is too cold to grow any plants out doors. What ever you do grow would have to be indoors. If I could I would always have a tomato plant growing so that I can always have fresh home grown tomatoes.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Hydroponics is your answer.
I grow a few plants over the winter, or at least allow hardy enough veg to stand in the ground.
Many brassicas are ideal for UK winters, as they can go dormant in the winter and "wake-up" in the spring.
I've leeks, Brussels sprouts, kale (borecole) winter onions, beetroot, and swedes already growing for winter, I have 2nd crop potatoes, more beetroot, lettuce and more winter onions in the polytunnel, and I'm about to sow pak (bok) choi, cauliflowers, broccoli, cabbages and the garlic goes in about 3 weeks from now.
I'm also digging in shredded tree branches and another 3 1/2 ton load of cattle manure to the ground, in preparation for next year.
If you consider that I'm still harvesting beans, peas, courgettes pumpkins, cucumbers tomatoes, lettuce, summer cabbage, aubergines, and hopefully my sweetcorn will beat the frosts, it's a busy, busy time.

Ask a Question