Do you grow any vegetables in the winter?

Reaction score
I confess I don't grow any vegetables in the winter. I keep my herbs going, and I still like to wrap up and potter about in the garden when it's cold. But I'm often glad of the break from growing things in the colder months, and I have other hobbies and interests that tend to take up my time in the winter too.

What do you grow in the winter months, if anything?

Reaction score
I agree with you on the fact that it is nice to take a long break from having to tend to a Garden, I think this year I might try to grow all the leafy plants that love the cold rainy weather like Spinach and Lettuce. I would rather like to keep stuff growing in there at all times and then that way the soil can get more rich.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I don't grow any vegetables in winter either:( I always spend winter months missing fresh tomatoes and cucumbers. I hate not being able to work in my garden.
The only plants I grow when it's cold are herbs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Having a mild winter here I grow everything that I can't grow when it is hot. Cole crops, all kinds of greens, beets, lettuces etc

Reaction score
Is there anything you can grow in the winter? I never thought of that. We're in the Chicagoland area so we get some brutal winters, so I assume indoors is best. Any tips?

Reaction score
I agree with you on the fact that it is nice to take a long break from having to tend to a Garden, I think this year I might try to grow all the leafy plants that love the cold rainy weather like Spinach and Lettuce. I would rather like to keep stuff growing in there at all times and then that way the soil can get more rich.

Same here - I'm keeping my spinach and herbs going, but that's it. I need the break after so much hard work the rest of the year! ;)

I don't grow any vegetables in winter either:( I always spend winter months missing fresh tomatoes and cucumbers. I hate not being able to work in my garden.
The only plants I grow when it's cold are herbs.

Try doing some spinach, Claudine. It's quite hardy, and makes a nice addition to many dishes.

Is there anything you can grow in the winter? I never thought of that. We're in the Chicagoland area so we get some brutal winters, so I assume indoors is best. Any tips?

You can grow potatoes and other root veg in winter. I think you can do certain varieties of beans too, but I'm not too sure on that one. Roots are the most common ones, but many people keep their herbs, spinach and lettuces going over the winter months.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Try doing some spinach, Claudine. It's quite hardy, and makes a nice addition to many dishes.
This sounds like a good idea. I hate the taste of spinach and I never eat it, but my boyfriend loves it. It's his favorite vegetable. I could grow it for him:)
It would be really nice to grow something in winter.

Reaction score
This sounds like a good idea. I hate the taste of spinach and I never eat it, but my boyfriend loves it. It's his favorite vegetable. I could grow it for him:)
It would be really nice to grow something in winter.

It's nice to have something to tend infrequently during the winter months; spinach is so easy too. It's such a versatile vegetable that it's well worth the small effort it takes to keep it going. My neighbor keeps a trough on her windowsill with salad leaves and spinach - she really can't bear to be in the garden in winter! :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I can totally relate to it, I always miss working in my garden in winter.
I'm sure your neighbor's windowsill looks very pretty!:) It's a lovely idea to grow vegetables like those indoors. I'd much rather look at green salad leaves than on nasty, white snow;)

Reaction score
I can totally relate to it, I always miss working in my garden in winter.
I'm sure your neighbor's windowsill looks very pretty!:) It's a lovely idea to grow vegetables like those indoors. I'd much rather look at green salad leaves than on nasty, white snow;)

If you've got a few nice sunny windowsills to work with, you could have a mini garden going on in your house. At times I've had salad leaves and lots of herbs growing all year round. I also have some chilli plants that I over-winter, and they come on even stronger the following year. I don't keep the salad leaves going very often now - just the herbs. But after seeing my neighbor's display, I felt envious.

I do like the idea of keeping things going over winter, where possible. There's nothing like picking your own fresh salad leaves for a sandwich or a salad.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
If you've got a few nice sunny windowsills to work with, you could have a mini garden going on in your house. At times I've had salad leaves and lots of herbs growing all year round. I also have some chilli plants that I over-winter, and they come on even stronger the following year. I don't keep the salad leaves going very often now - just the herbs. But after seeing my neighbor's display, I felt envious.

I do like the idea of keeping things going over winter, where possible. There's nothing like picking your own fresh salad leaves for a sandwich or a salad.
Yes, this sounds nice:) I like fresh salad and I love eating vegetables that I grew with my own two hands. They're the most delicious! Right now, I have only one windowsill. But I plan to move out soon. As soon as I have my own apartment, I'll start creating miniature indoor gardens:love:

InvasiveCreeper

Wild Garden and Native Plant Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
In a cold-frame, various greens, like spinach, chard, and arugula, will provide you with a crop through the winter.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
In the relatively mild UK winters, since I have a polytunnel, I'll be growing beetroot, pak choi, potatoes (which are already in) onions, lettuce, to add to the brassicas and leeks outside.

Ask a Question