Do you grow any edibles on windowsills?

Reaction score
Country
United States
This could be in any season, but generally I do this for the winter by saving smalls bits of whatever herbs and spices I want to have continued throughout the cold winters we get. It's a long time without fresh mint or basil for me. I can't handle it. I refuse to buy those 1 dollar shakers too from the store, because they are just processed spices, just like meat is processed meat. It's lost it's real luster.

So, my question is what ones do you grow, if you do? If you don't have you considered the positive sides? Or do you have pets that would unfortunately treat it as an "All you can eat herb buffet"?

Discuss away!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I grow sprouts:love: Currently, I have sweet corn, mung beans and broccoli seeds. Sprouts are super delicious and very healthy, I eat them every day:D

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I used to have sweet corn but my pet dog won't just stop biting it into pieces and no matter how hard I try to keep my pet away from it, it still finds a way especially when I'm not around so now I don't anymore.

Reaction score
I don't - as although I would very like to - its just not possible as I don't have any window sills - however that doesn't mean that I have to resort to doing without my home grown produce - as I always freeze or dry an abundance of produce to ensure that I always have a plentiful supply that will last until the next growing season :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
I have some lettuce growing in between a few houseplants and some cactus. I'm going to start a few herbs just to see what happens. It has to be better than that junk they sell in the store. I'm glad you brought this up because I go stir crazy easily and now I have something to do besides rolling a ham. :cool:

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I do not grow any type of edible plants in the house, the other members of my family would make it very hard to do. The kitchen window does not get enough sun and there are no other windows suitable.

Reaction score
I like the idea of growing some herbs indoors in my kitchen, I have seen a lot people doing that and I really think I'll be doing that as well. The idea of having fresh herbs nearby is something that has always appealed me, since I'm the one who has and will always (most likely) do the cooking at home :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I like the idea of growing some herbs indoors in my kitchen, I have seen a lot people doing that and I really think I'll be doing that as well. The idea of having fresh herbs nearby is something that has always appealed me, since I'm the one who has and will always (most likely) do the cooking at home :)
You should definitely give it a try!:) Growing herbs indoors is a wonderful idea. It's so convenient. Currently, I grow basil and lemon verbena in my kitchen. They smell amazing and look really pretty. I think I'll take a picture of them soon and post it here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't get enough sun in the winter here, and my house doesn't seem to get direct sun light at all. I tried basil, thyme and rosemary and they just withered and died by the harshest months of winter.

Reaction score
You should definitely give it a try!:) Growing herbs indoors is a wonderful idea. It's so convenient. Currently, I grow basil and lemon verbena in my kitchen. They smell amazing and look really pretty. I think I'll take a picture of them soon and post it here.

Thanks for the encouragement, and yes!!! Do it, we would love to see that!!! I'm thinking of growing: mint, marjoram, basil, rue, lemon verbena and oregano :love: I think our kitchens are going to smell amazing. Have you thought of adding other herbs to your collection?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
We have ginger planted in a soft plastic pot. We have no winter here but when the rains are excessive, we place the ginger inside the terrace where the rains cannot inundate the soil. Too much water would make the ginger root rot. But if you talk of winter, I cannot imagine herbs or other plants with soft leaves to survive outside. I guess you have to make your plants relocatable for winter purposes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Thanks for the encouragement, and yes!!! Do it, we would love to see that!!! I'm thinking of growing: mint, marjoram, basil, rue, lemon verbena and oregano :love: I think our kitchens are going to smell amazing. Have you thought of adding other herbs to your collection?
I've been thinking about it, but the truth is that I didn't have much luck with other herbs in the past. I killed my thyme, oregano, parsley and mint:cry: It was such a pity, I loved having so many herbs in my kitchen!

Ask a Question