Do You Ever Make Things With Your Yard Trimmings?

Reaction score
My ex's mother once made a tree stump table out of a stump from her back yard. Some people make wall art and coat hooks out of branches. Have you ever made anything from your yard junk?
The only thing I've done is display pinecones and a bird' s nest I found on the ground as found art on my bookshelf.

3c8d8c5c3417202671224ebce0a0d1ed.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
That is a lovely stump. I have a piece of multi-stumped wood that I saved from the filbert trees that were taken out. I was hoping to make something from it like an end table, but wonder if I ever will. Like you, pine cones saved from memorial trips or gathered on walks are something I like to save and display. I still have two that I spray painted white and glittered for Christmas sitting on the TV cabinet. Often I bring in sticks with moss and lichens to put in a vase for a while. The little panoramas of life on them amaze me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
This tree stump table looks really pretty! :D
Unfortunately, I have nothing to brag about, I've never made anything from my yard junk. My boyfriend and I, we once tried to make a kite and we used old branches from my garden to do it, but it didn't work out:(

Reaction score
I've seen tree stump tables with actual roots holding it up a bit. That, while nice, doesn't look like much of a stump to me (I don't leave that much sticking up when I take a tree out. lol).
I've got a couple chunks of wood I want to slice up and make clocks out of. They're Box Elder, so they slice with a real pretty grain.

Most of the rest of my tree trimmings and such either go into making compost or fire. :)

Reaction score
Wow, that is beautiful. The only thing I have ever done is collected pinecones from my yard and made a wreath. I'm just not creative like that, but I wish I was.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Lol, my little Yorkie always collects pinecones from our yard:D. I tried to turn them into dog toys, I used ribbons to do it, but he destroys them within seconds:p

This looks so lovely and natural:

tree-trunk-coffee-table.jpg

Reaction score
I use the deadfall branches - at least the smaller ones - and carve them into abstract birds and sometimes fish and lizards. I have sold quite a few of them and the wonderful thing about them is that I have no shortage of free sculpting material. I've also created lamps with some of the wood as well as using some for tables and bases for my houseplants.

Reaction score
I use the deadfall branches - at least the smaller ones - and carve them into abstract birds and sometimes fish and lizards. I have sold quite a few of them and the wonderful thing about them is that I have no shortage of free sculpting material. I've also created lamps with some of the wood as well as using some for tables and bases for my houseplants.

That is really cool. It must be nice to have free art materials provided by Mother Nature. Those carvings sound really interesting.

Reaction score
That table is absolutely beautiful. I love furrniture that's made from stuff like this. In fact, over the summer we went to see Frank Lloyd Wright's Falling Water. Now if you really like this type of furniture, that's a masterpiece you'd love to see and should if you can.

Reaction score
Lol, my little Yorkie always collects pinecones from our yard:D. I tried to turn them into dog toys, I used ribbons to do it, but he destroys them within seconds:p

This looks so lovely and natural:

tree-trunk-coffee-table.jpg

That must have been a huge tree. This is a really cool and simple coffee table that would probably cost a fortune in a nice store.

Reaction score
What a lovely tree stump! I'm not a big fan of furniture that was made with wood, because of the green factor, but using a stump this way is actually a good thing! Way better than just throwing it away.

I'd love doing something like that with my cut trimmings, but I never really thought about it. I might try doing something with my trimming in the future (once I start gardening again). I can't think of many things I could do with my trimmings right now tho :p but once I start gardening the ideas might flow back ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
That must have been a huge tree. This is a really cool and simple coffee table that would probably cost a fortune in a nice store.
Yes! I bet it would be extremely expensive at a store. It's really great that we save so much money thanks to our gardens and our handmade skills. Sometimes an old tree stump and some paint is enough to make something beautiful:)

Reaction score
I use quite a bit of dead fall for something other than burning it. I sculpt and have found a lot of wood that I have turned into birds, lizards, and a few fish. I also use any bones I find of the unfortunates who got taken out by the hawks and foxes.

Reaction score
I make artwork with dried flower petals. I have boxes of dried flowers for just this purpose. I was fortunate enough to have an aunt who lived on a flower farm and she would go out to the fields, pick flowers, and dry them for me.

Reaction score
I make artwork with dried flower petals. I have boxes of dried flowers for just this purpose. I was fortunate enough to have an aunt who lived on a flower farm and she would go out to the fields, pick flowers, and dry them for me.
Wow, artwork from dried flower petals sounds really cool. Did you do abstract art, or was it like a realistic portrait of a person made out of flowers?

Ask a Question