Do you buy fertilizers or make your own compost manure?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm a compost kinda guy. I only use fertilizer for my lawns. For my backyard gardens and even flower beds we've prepared backyard bins for everything that's organic so I really have a constant supply for all my fruit trees and vegetable gardens. Manure is really a perfect way to really fertilize but unfortunately I don't have easy access to that regularly.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm not a big fan of fertilizer. I don't like all the chemicals in it. I am scared these chemicals get onto my veggies and do hard to my body. However, that being said my garden is also small enough that it is easy to contain. It doesn't take me long to pull whatever weeds up I need to. If I had a bigger garden I probably would need to use some kind of fertilizer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I don't use package fertilizer for my garden, I compost all yard waste and any left over veggies I have. I have 2 compost bins and 2 raised bed that will be a veggie garden next year, I have all the free bunny poop I want with the bunnies that hang out in my yard.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Our compost is the informal compost. It is just a planter box where we throw excess vegetable cuttings and fruit rinds plus leftover food particularly vegetables and fruits. But tossing in leftover dishes is not bad because it add nutrients to the soil. When the vegetables and fruits are eaten by earthworms, there is the vermicast which is also a good potting material. We usually use that for the bottom of the pot before adding the real compost on the top half of the pot.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I use my kitchen waste to feed my plants outdoors. I use banana peels, any thing green, coffee grinds and tea to make my compost.

Reaction score
I have a compost pit in my backyard. It isn't a traditional compost pit in any sense it's more like a mish-mash of soil, dry and wet leaves, barks and such that I'm experimenting on. Not an ounce of animal feces. I don't buy fertilizer when I can get it for free in my backyard-- now that's true organic. LOL

Ask a Question