Do I Or Don't I

Reaction score
Country
United States
Watered everything going to plant some Greenbeans in an open area.

Setting here taking a break. It is teasing me again with a sprinkle. Thankful for every drop.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Water the ground.
I have often watered when it is raining.
If it's not a downpour, like stair rods, you're hose will be at its most beneficial.
When it's teasing like that, it is often the case (here anyway) that the rain is just a smatter, & if the ground is dry, it'll just soak right through, meaning you have to use your hose in a couple of days anyway.
This multiple watering encourages shallow root growth

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I've felt it necessary to water pretty much everything, every day for nearly 3 weeks! We had quite a downpour last night, but I don't think it would be enough to go really deep if we hadn't been watering.

We've had abnormally hot and dry weather for 3 weeks now. No rain at all, and blazing sunshine all day long. We topped out at 29 degrees C yesterday which is unheard of where I live (West of Scotland). Forecasts are for days of scorching hot weather ahead and small chance of light showers is best they can offer for the fortnight ahead.

I've had the sprinkler on all day - moving it around the garden. Normally I don't, but last year my crab apple tree lost all it's leaves by July - never was sure if it was scab or draught, but as scab likes wet weather I'm guessing draught. Also, we lost all the daisies in the wild flower meadow last year.

So, sprinkler has been out all day - moving it around the garden. I wouldn't do this later in the year, but early on in the season everything has shallow little roots and there's very little ground cover to keep moisture in. It's drying out SO quickly.

I realize this can result in shallow roots, but my garden looks like a green oasis compared to all around. Here's hoping.....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Headfullofbees - you've been gardening for a while. Are you observing fairly extreme change in climate the past few years? I think I am.
Much dryer for a few years, but this year much, much hotter too. I've been checking forecaset all over the UK and we're beating Devon, Cornwall - even Jersy - for heat.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Headfullofbees - you've been gardening for a while. Are you observing fairly extreme change in climate the past few years? I think I am.
Much dryer for a few years, but this year much, much hotter too. I've been checking forecaset all over the UK and we're beating Devon, Cornwall - even Jersy - for heat.
I'm observing no change whatsoever.
Sometimes it's cold, sometimes it's warm.
It's common where I am (and since you're only a few miles up the coast, where you are) to have dry sunny spells in Spring & more rain, July & August.
Exactly 40 years ago I was working outdoors in Bute, a bit to the north of here, I went to Majorca with my mates in late April, & when I came back, my workmates had a better tan than I.
1983 was a fantastic summer.
There is no noticeable day-time change, but it may be slightly warmer at night.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I see the BBC are showing health warnings now for temperatures which people used to hope for, & in fact, which most of the tens of millions of Brits who head off to Mediterranean holidays would be disappointed with.
26-30C is very warm, not hot.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well I tilled then couldn't find my Seed. Found some old, just planted thiker.

It was so late I didn't water. It did rain a little last night but not enough to settle the dust.

I'll water tomorrow I do very little on the Lord's day.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I see the BBC are showing health warnings now for temperatures which people used to hope for, & in fact, which most of the tens of millions of Brits who head off to Mediterranean holidays would be disappointed with.
26-30C is very warm, not hot.
The mediterranean is used to dealing with heat and they build houses accordingly. Nice cold stone floors, small windows etc. They also tend to have air conditioning in public buildings and in many homes.

We aren't equipped for very hot weather. The weather we've been having in Ayrshire is exceptionally hot for any time of year, but is unheard of this early in the season. We had a little bit of rain last night, but prior to that it's been full sun pretty much every day since early May. Temps forcast moving forwards are:

29C tomorrow, 27C tues, 25C weds, then a week at 24C.

Average high in early June is about 15C.

Reaction score
Country
United States
We was in the Gulf of Mexico in March and it was very warm. We was in a Hurricane Area, interesting everything was elevated for Storm Surge. I checked what it was doing there 90F during the day but they was running two months ahead of us on weather.

We haven't had much moisture for well over a year.

Now temperatures are little warmer than normal around 85F.

But need to realize the Earth has changed its axis and the crust is thinning in spots so yes it is going to change our weather.

But continue with what the Lord offers.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
The mediterranean is used to dealing with heat and they build houses accordingly. Nice cold stone floors, small windows etc. They also tend to have air conditioning in public buildings and in many homes.

We aren't equipped for very hot weather. The weather we've been having in Ayrshire is exceptionally hot for any time of year, but is unheard of this early in the season. We had a little bit of rain last night, but prior to that it's been full sun pretty much every day since early May. Temps forcast moving forwards are:

29C tomorrow, 27C tues, 25C weds, then a week at 24C.

Average high in early June is about 15C.
You asked me, I answered you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
We was in the Gulf of Mexico in March and it was very warm. We was in a Hurricane Area, interesting everything was elevated for Storm Surge. I checked what it was doing there 90F during the day but they was running two months ahead of us on weather.

We haven't had much moisture for well over a year.

Now temperatures are little warmer than normal around 85F.

But need to realize the Earth has changed its axis and the crust is thinning in spots so yes it is going to change our weather.

But continue with what the Lord offers.

big rockpile
Aparently there's some 'el nino' thing going on?

We weren't particularly hot where I am last year (although it was dry), but England got temps of 40 degrees. Apparently last year was 'La Nina' which leads to cooler temperatures. So, interesting to see how hot it's going to get this year with El nino influence!!

I'm changing the way I do gardening as these very dry spells are getting more frequent. More mulching, more draught tolerant plants. I'm also seeing if I can do more with swales and irregation.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Weather is sometimes hot.
Climate is not just one Spring in one county.
28+C is not rare, even is Scotland, even though the record is 33.-odd

La Nina does cool the planet slightly, but it's not blanket cooling, it's far more nuanced.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Climate: "The meteorological conditions, including temperature, precipitation, and wind, that characteristically prevail in a particular region."

28+ IS very rare where I live. Especially in early June where Max temp is usually around 15C.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I watch Radar at work when bad weather hits our area and I have not had to go in.

We depend on Tourist and the River to finance a big part of the area but the river is very low. And if water gets too warm it's going to hurt the Trout.

big rockpile

Ask a Question