I don't want to guess....

Low Altitude

Low Altitude
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b but houseplants only - apartment
Country
United States
I have an idea what this might be, but since I'm usually wrong.... help? It's a foot tall to the top tip.

IMG_6027.jpg

Thanks!

Low Altitude

Low Altitude
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b but houseplants only - apartment
Country
United States
It's a Neanthe Bella or Parlor Palm, Chamaedorea elegans. Very easy to grow as long as you avoid extremes of moisture, temperature and light.
CPP to the rescue, again!

Thanks v much. A couple of years ago, I got a decent size (maybe 4 feet?) majesty palm that was being sold for a song by the local supermarket, because it had been on the sidewalk for weeks or months and was looking a bit the worse for wear. I took it home, hosed it down and gave it a modest pruning; put it in a corner of a room where it got gentle late-afternoon sun and it responded by brightening the place up – growing so much that I needed to re-pot it. I got the right kind of fast-drainer dirt, but messed up the drainage holes on the new pot, so it got boggy and I killed the poor thing. Grrr....

Then, a couple of days ago, the same supermarket was offloading the little fellow above, again cheaply and again for similar reasons. I just vaguely wondered if it was a juvenile majesty that might, in time, replace the one I had killed. Apparently not! Chamaedorea elegans, eh? Super little thing. I will take good care of it and make sure not to what I did to its big cousin. It has already settled in nicely.

Thanks again!

Ask a Question