Seedling, don't know what it is...

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, I'm from northeast Ohio. I took this plant out of some compost outside. I thought there was a black seed on the opening leaf but I'm not positive maybe it was some compost/dirt or something. Because of the black seed-like thing I thought it was either a watermelon or a sunflower but right now I'm pretty sure it's not a watermelon and it doesn't look like a sunflower either. Please let me know if you know what it is or if it's just a weed. Thanks.
The stalk is pink/red somewhat towards the bottom.

unknownplant.jpg

-John

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think you are right about not being watermelon or sunflower. bit too small to tell yet, but maybe some sort of tree?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, I believe they do but I don't know about the larger Begonias - those grown from corms. Which I think the plant in the above image is.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m thinking an apple seedling.
The edge of the leaf looks too rough for me. Someone said 'Birch' and that was what I thought of when I first saw it, but birch seeds are small wind floaters and the OP said he might have seen a seed case, also I am not familiar with North American trees, but I agree, it does look like a tree.

Ask a Question