Do I need to scarify, and if so, when?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a new build and had our turf laid March 2022. It's never looked great. The soil is clay and although it was rotovated, not much other prep was done apart from topsoil. I asked the company doing it at the time but they said it was fine and it just needed time. Not so sure that was true, but here we are.

We've had some landscaping done recently and I noticed what I suspected was the issue, in that the chunks of turf being dug up appeared to have very little penetration from the grass, and there appeared to be what looked like a layer of straw under it (late summer last year the lawn was not pleasant to walk on bare foot). i wish I had a photo. But it was basically..green, then yellow/straw (thick) and then soil, and really shallow before the soil.

I have a fairly large lawn so manual aerating with a fork would be a difficult job.

Does this sound like I need to scarify and seed to try and get the grass further down? I'm of the belief that the lawn will not get better on its own and not having that lovely thick green lawn is an annoyance!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If your lawn were in Texas I would do this. I would speed up the decomposition of that yellow straw i.e. thatch by spraying molasses @2 oz per gallon of water, every 2 weeks. I would immediately cover the lawn with about 1/2 inch of compost. I would then fertilize. After all this is done I would rent an aerator and aerate the lawn.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Here we have a LOT of pine and the soil conditioner-compost is inexpensive when it is pine bark. It breaks down slowly too which is good for aeration of clay.

One thing about roots is the need for phosphorus. The starter fertilizers have more of it and your poor roots need all the growth help they can get because they are not started really well yet from what I hear you saying.

I imagine the intended breakdown of the straw will served by Nitrogen but I would not use much like the high N grass fertilizers often have.

Chucks idea about sugars works real well for the busybodies that will claim that straw layer over time. Try to use spray fertilizers because moisture helps compost the straw. You can dissolve triple super phosphate (2 tbsp to a gallon) in water and boost any fertilizer. Triple super phosphate has no sulfur. Super phosphate does. If your clay is alkaline like so many are then maybe this is a useful detail to lower pH and keep it in that 6-7 range where the phosphorus is not so prone to get locked into the soil. The idea is it stays available for the grass at least a few weeks in summer heat.

Last edited:

Ask a Question