Desert Rose

Reaction score
Great find. I am curious now about how it looks like when you do pull it of the ground. I am wondering if some of the things in the movie may be based on some sort of reality.

I love reading the posts in this forum. There is always something new, curious, unique, different, and plenty to see and learn.

Since, I have joined, I have received great advise and have read up on the posts others make to find out there are many things I have not been exposed to. Yours is one of those things. Thanks.

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up on it being poisonous! Well the leaves fell off when I first brought it home. Then a couple days later they sprouted back. Now, I am not sure if the leaves are still growing, they are still small. Are there definitive dormancy signs?

You are welcome- and yes there are very definitive signs that the Desert Rose is going into dormancy - it will start to lose it leaves, which would normally occur around late October to November depending on your climate, but as I mentioned before there are other conditions that can cause this plant to go dormant such as temperature fluctuations and too little water together with lack of light.
However, during the dormant period the Desert Rose needs to be kept on the dry side and if you give it more water than it needs, it will break the dormancy pattern and start to grow new leaves, so I'm wondering , if perhaps the reason why yours is growing new leaves is because you are watering it more than it needs to be - which in the dormant period would probably be no more than once a month.

Reaction score
Nuts, I probably water it once every other week. Whenever the soil looks really dry. What happens if you break a plants dormant cycle? Thank you so much, for all the answers!

Not sure what the roots look like, Charahome. I am glad to show off something, that someone else might not have heard of before.

Reaction score
Nuts, I probably water it once every other week. Whenever the soil looks really dry. What happens if you break a plants dormant cycle? Thank you so much, for all the answers!

You are welcome and happy to give more if need be - but don't start worrying just yet, especially as you've only had your plant for a short time, it may well respond favorably to its winter watering regime of once a month.

Breaking an Adeniums dormant cycle shouldn't do much harm so long as it isn't too prolonged and as these plants can be a little temperamental - breaking their dormancy cycle can be quite a regular occurrence, but it is easily corrected by changing whatever is causing it- such as light, temperature or water as I have already mentioned in previous posts.

As your Adeniums was possibly caused by over-watering, I thinking it should be fine now, if kept on the dry side during its dormant period, which will be from now until late spring when it will start to come out of its dormant stage and you will need to water it more frequently.

Reaction score
That is so gorgeous and now I am jealous! I am hoping that I learn more about gardening and am able to share beautiful photographs. I am getting excited for spring time already! :D

Reaction score
Those are really amazing pictures! I am taken aback at how beautiful they are. I have never seen a desert rose but I saw the title of the thread and I thought it was worth peeking at. It has definitely passed my expectations. I would love to have one of these where I live.

Reaction score
Wow, that is a beautiful plant and your cats are lovely too. I hope you'll post a photo of your plant when it's in bloom. Thank you for sharing your photo.

Ask a Question