Desert rose

Reaction score
Country
Israel
I hope I am in the right forum.
Hello, I know that fresh desert rose seeds will have a higher germination rate when they are fresh. I already have 20 seedlings from last August and I have 20 seeds stored. I want to germinate them in March. Will they still germinate after seven months? How long can I store them and get good results?
Thank you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Welcome Ziva. :)
Don't know about your rose seeds specifically but most seeds are viable for at least a year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome aboard! :)

Good advice from @Beth_B, your seeds should be fine in March as long as they are stored in a cool, dry place.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have never seen these type of seeds and never hear about them. Thanks for sharing. Because I learnt something new from your post

Reaction score
Country
United States
I hope I am in the right forum.
Hello, I know that fresh desert rose seeds will have a higher germination rate when they are fresh. I already have 20 seedlings from last August and I have 20 seeds stored. I want to germinate them in March. Will they still germinate after seven months? How long can I store them and get good results?
Thank you.
I got my seeds to sprout by placing them inbetween two sheets of paper towel. I wet the towels and placed all inside a gallon storage bag. About 90% terminated within a week. I then placed the sprouts in a seed sprout tray. I am about to replant them into small pots.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Desert-rose is not a 'true' Rose (Rosa spp.), but rather species and hybrids of the genus Adenium, in the Dogbane family (Apocynaceae). Depending on classification, there are six to ten species of Adenium, native to East Africa, southern Arabia, and the Isles of Socotra.

Adenium make fine houseplants for sunny windows and also excellent garden specimens in warmer climates.
In my USDA Zone 9b garden, I keep two Adenium plants on my patio, where they bloom throughout the Summer and early Fall.
In early November, I bring them under the porch eaves, away from frost and winter dampness, where the persist in a leafless state until warm weather returns in Spring.

Ask a Question