Desert Museum Palo Verde

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, I am new to this forum. About eight months ago I planted a Desert Museum PV in our back yard. It was planted correctly with the root flare exposed. Although it was planted in a grassy area, we cleared the area for about 4 feet around the tree, so it's really sitting in soil. It seemed to be doing fine with deep-watering twice a week (an hour of watering with a teeny trickle from the hose, about 3 feet out from the trunk). Now it is December and some leaves are turning yellow. I have read that this either could be "normal" or it could be due to overwatering. I live in Zone 9, Central California, so we do have a winter which hopefully brings us rain. We have very hot summers. Can anyone tell me definitively if I am overwatering?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Hi, I am new to this forum. About eight months ago I planted a Desert Museum PV in our back yard. It was planted correctly with the root flare exposed. Although it was planted in a grassy area, we cleared the area for about 4 feet around the tree, so it's really sitting in soil. It seemed to be doing fine with deep-watering twice a week (an hour of watering with a teeny trickle from the hose, about 3 feet out from the trunk). Now it is December and some leaves are turning yellow. I have read that this either could be "normal" or it could be due to overwatering. I live in Zone 9, Central California, so we do have a winter which hopefully brings us rain. We have very hot summers. Can anyone tell me definitively if I am overwatering?
My bet is on overwatering.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
How often does it rain in the desert? I'll bet not very often. I have a couple on my property and I have never watered them or done anything else to them and I live in a semi-desert. On young trees I would say watering deeply twice a month would be sufficient but on established trees maybe once a month at most.

Reaction score
Country
United States
My bet is on overwatering.

If it IS overwatering, will it recover? I determined the watering schedule according to the nursery where I bought the tree. It seemed like a lot to me, but I've already had one PV die from UNDERWATERING. I am determined to grow this tree!! They're my favorites. Thanks so much for your help!

Ask a Question