Datura advice please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some years ago a friend gave me a cutting he had taken from his datura. I understand there are various ones this is a bush about two feet six tall with pendulant long white bells, double and beautifully scented. Last year it was not doing so well, so I took a cutting last autumn which is now well established, that's my 'insurance'. Now I want to tackle the original plant, it seems to have grown in three natural parts and I am tempted to try taking it out, splitting it in three and then replanting them. On the other hand I could simply replace as much earth as possible with good compost and replant the whole thing in a bigger container if I can find one, or try turning the stems into more cuttings, but that might be a bit more long term. Has anybody any wisdom or experience to offer? I am afraid the original donor died of lung cancer a couple of years ago. He was a proper gardener who had retired to a first floor flat with a North West facing balcony where he grew Chilean Bell flowers, impressive.

Reaction score
Country
United States
A photo would be a big help. I believe you are referring to a double-flowered cultivar of Brugmansia. The woody Brugmansia were formerly included in the genus Datura, which now consists of herbaceous species.

Ask a Question