Ornamental Grass advice

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, I have quite a few ornamental grasses in our yard. We moved into our house about 5 years ago and it was beautifully landscaped when we moved in - we've been learning about it ever since and just about keeping up with it. We have someone that mows the lawns and does a fall and spring cleanup here in Colorado. They have been cutting the ornamental grasses back to about 1 foot in height in the fall. While cleaning up one of the beds, I noted that the old clump of grass was pretty much dead and I could just pull it out in fairly large pieces with my hands. As I say, we have been learning and this has more or less just come to my attention this year, so I did some searching and it sounds as though they should not cut these grasses back until spring... is that correct? and what should I do about the large dead clump of grass? I am attaching a picture of a large example of this just off our patio. I am thinking that ideally this shouldnt happen maybe? but we are where we are now, so do I just try and remove as much dead stuff as I can now? in late August? If its dead does it matter when I remove it? Any advice would be appreciated. I am FINALLY retiring at the end of this year and plan on being a lot more hands on in the garden going forward. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_1287.jpeg
    IMG_1287.jpeg
    428.6 KB · Views: 39
Reaction score
Country
United States
It is best to cut back ornamental grasses in early Spring, especially in a colder climate. Leaving the brown, winter leaves is considered part of the ornamental appeal, though of course that is a matter of opinion.

In any case, all bunch grasses will eventually begin to die out in the center. With time, a single cump could even develop into several separate clumps or ramets.

You can hasten this process by digging up the clump, dividing it into several new separate plants, and replanting them where you choose. Of course, most of the dead center is removed and discarded in the process.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
thanks, so I can just dig out the dead center and wait for new grass to grow in if I don't want to separate and plant new grasses?

Reaction score
Country
United States
thanks, so I can just dig out the dead center and wait for new grass to grow in if I don't want to separate and plant new grasses?
You could try to do something like that, but you really need to lift up the entire clump to properly remove the dead center. Also, the clumps will not grow back together to appear as one clump. The effect will still look like several clumps growing near each other.

Ask a Question