Dahlia Help

Prophet

Intelligently Inquisitive
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hi all, I accidentally badly over fertilized my dahlia's and the leaves are basically all dying and falling off. If I cut all the leaves off will they grow back or just cut the entire plant down from ground level? They look pathetic and I tried flooding them with water to wash all the nutrients away for a week but they still look terrible. Any help appreciated..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
In my experience watering only helps if the soil has enough time to properly drain between waterings. To much water will make things worse, as the roots need air around them, and they drown and rot if not.

Prophet

Intelligently Inquisitive
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
In my experience watering only helps if the soil has enough time to properly drain between waterings. To much water will make things worse, as the roots need air around them, and they drown and rot if not.
The fertilizer basically killed them anyway, so I was trying to overwater on purpose to flush out the extra nutrients. They were doomed one way or the other so may as well give it a shot. It actually helped and 2 of the plants are saved. As far as the other 2 I have I just cut them back and going to see if they grow or not. I can find no one who really knows much about them for some reason, and the info on it is limited everywhere I search. So basically just going to use my knowledge on other plants and incorporate some of those methods. It will either work--or it wont :-/

Ask a Question