Curly Top....

Reaction score
Country
United States
20230508_190412.jpg

Planted last weekend and it was so windy I didn't get around to spraying yet. Sprayed last night with neem oil mix and I look today and 6 of my plants look like this. . I had one plant last year actually recover 100% from curly top right at the end of the season. It was wild, I've never seen that happen so I saved the seeds out of the two tomatoes it produced hoping they would be resistant but they are also showing signs.... I hate beet leaf hoppers so much. Was I just too slow on the neem oil or what other tips does everyone have?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have taken a metal clothes hanger and bent it in a shape to hold fly paper straight up and down and stuck the end in the soil near the plant.

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I found this video. The guy swears he found the cure for curly top, ivermectin. His plants do look pretty good and logically it would make sense since it's a virus. It's only $11 on Amazon for the past so I bought a tube. I'll report back with the findings lol. I'm just so aggravated, I can't believe they weren't find for one week outside...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I admit, I didn't know anything about this tomato disease, so have been reading up about it. It seems to be a real pest for some. May I ask you if you use a lot of insecticides in your garden? If so you will probably have killed all the natural predators of the leaf hoppers that cause the problem in the first place.
There are a lot of other insects that would normally form an awesome army to rid you of these creatures. There is a lot to be said for the organic way to garden. The insecticides that people use on food stuff can cause a lot of illness after it's been used on veggies.
I read too that these creatures are not so happy in shady places, and plants might be better protected with some shading net over them. It also helps to keep the weeds down.
Neem oil of course is brilliant, and very often saves the day. I wish you luck with your crops.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I admit, I didn't know anything about this tomato disease, so have been reading up about it. It seems to be a real pest for some. May I ask you if you use a lot of insecticides in your garden? If so you will probably have killed all the natural predators of the leaf hoppers that cause the problem in the first place.
There are a lot of other insects that would normally form an awesome army to rid you of these creatures. There is a lot to be said for the organic way to garden. The insecticides that people use on food stuff can cause a lot of illness after it's been used on veggies.
I read too that these creatures are not so happy in shady places, and plants might be better protected with some shading net over them. It also helps to keep the weeds down.
Neem oil of course is brilliant, and very often saves the day. I wish you luck with your crops.
No insecticides except neem oil. I discovered neem oil later last year and it really helped so I was going to use it first thing this year. I wanted to give them a week to get established plus it was very windy the whole week. By the time I got to them, I could tell they had the disease... we do have a couple marigolds out with plans for more. As for shade, they are not in the shade.

Ask a Question