Cucumber plant pest - help!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Had 2 cucumber plants eaten within days last week. Bought 2 new plants, covered them with netting this time, and within one day - something got them again! You can see in second pic it looks like snail “slime” but don’t see how a snail/slug could’ve gotten thru net? No visible pests in dirt or under leaves. I’m at a total loss. Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_9822.jpeg
    IMG_9822.jpeg
    476.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_9823.jpeg
    IMG_9823.jpeg
    290.2 KB · Views: 7
Reaction score
Country
Australia
I'm guessing it's something tiny like mites. Early season cueys were always attacked by red legged earth mites at my place. I think you have to plant more seedlings and keep them inside until the mite predators- lacewings, ladybugs, mantis and others have come.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for input!! I’m a newbie veggie “gardener”. mites wouldn’t leave that sticky “slime” trail tho?
Good call on keeping inside early on tho… might need to do that

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This will be slugs. They like to burrow underground, especially in warmer weather, it keeps their skin cooler. They pop out after dark to eat their dinner and are grateful to you for providing such a tasty feast!
We don't use slug pellets though because they are bird killers too. I've seen dead birds all over the farmland behind us after they have distributed those pellets everywhere.
Our answer to slugs is a pot of salt and a torch, and we go for a hunt after the sun has gone down.

Reaction score
Country
United States
This will be slugs. They like to burrow underground, especially in warmer weather, it keeps their skin cooler. They pop out after dark to eat their dinner and are grateful to you for providing such a tasty feast!
We don't use slug pellets though because they are bird killers too. I've seen dead birds all over the farmland behind us after they have distributed those pellets everywhere.
Our answer to slugs is a pot of salt and a torch, and we go for a hunt after the sun has gone down.

Haha. Appreciate the input. Thanks!

Ask a Question