Crystals on Hibiscus stems and leaves

Reaction score
Country
United States
I posted on another forum quite a while back and they said my use of the neem oil was causing the problems:( Could have had this all fixed a long time ago.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey Chuck. What do you think these plants are?? They were also sold on WISH as "hibiscus" seeds.

Attachments

• 20190408_162720.jpg
    20190408_162720.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 160
  • 20190408_162715.jpg
    20190408_162715.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 168
  • 20190408_162711.jpg
    20190408_162711.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 172
Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't think they are spider mites but whatever they are you treat them the same way. Drench and Spray. And they will be on every plant your have, even if you can't see them.

Thanks again for all of your help Chuck. Ordering Spinosad on Friday - cant find it locally. One of my larger hibiscus now has several yellow and yellowing leaves. Is this a symptom of the parasites or something else you think?? All of my larger hibiscus have been slowly losing leaves since last fall and I thought maybe that was a wintering process. Since I did the 3in1 spray and neem oil last weekend this guy developed several more yellow leaves much quicker than it had been. The others look unchanged but they have all been dropping leaves all winter long. Is it normal for hibiscus to drop leaves all winter long then fluff up when the temp warms up? I thought I'd be negating any wintering effect by having them in my little grow hut all winter but I'm likely wrong. I thought I knew how to take care of plants until I got some hibiscus:(

Jeremy

Attachments

• 20190409_194945.jpg
    20190409_194945.jpg
    286.4 KB · Views: 150
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I posted on another forum quite a while back and they said my use of the neem oil was causing the problems:( Could have had this all fixed a long time ago.
The only problem with Neem AFAIK is that it will burn plants if used in the hot afternoons.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks again for all of your help Chuck. Ordering Spinosad on Friday - cant find it locally. One of my larger hibiscus now has several yellow and yellowing leaves. Is this a symptom of the parasites or something else you think?? All of my larger hibiscus have been slowly losing leaves since last fall and I thought maybe that was a wintering process. Since I did the 3in1 spray and neem oil last weekend this guy developed several more yellow leaves much quicker than it had been. The others look unchanged but they have all been dropping leaves all winter long. Is it normal for hibiscus to drop leaves all winter long then fluff up when the temp warms up? I thought I'd be negating any wintering effect by having them in my little grow hut all winter but I'm likely wrong. I thought I knew how to take care of plants until I got some hibiscus:(

Jeremy
Hard to say what's wrong but I can see some of the other leaves beginning to yellow and have green veins. You may have an iron deficiency.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hard to say what's wrong but I can see some of the other leaves beginning to yellow and have green veins. You may have an iron deficiency.

I added a bit of iron in the potting mix when they were repotted 6 months ago. Also tried a bit of mag sulfate to rule out mag deficiency and that didnt have an effect.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The plant shown in the OP is not Hibiscus, but rather Okra (Abelmoschus esculentus, or a related species). Both genera are in the Mallow Family (Malvaceae).

Furthermore, the crystals on the leaves and stems are not Homopteran honeydew nor any symptom of infestation or disease.
Rather, these are natural exudates from the plant.

Ask a Question